PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6.2 Silent Uninstall Issue - "Uninstall Application" dialog

Rartugar
2009-02-10, 19:54
I am working on an automated process to remove all versions of Spybot S&D from a user system silently. I use one of the following to accomplish this.

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.exe" /SILENT
or
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.exe" /VERYSILENT

Typically this works very well, except with version 1.6.2, the user is presented with the "Uninstall Application" dialog, which prompts the user to enter a reason for uninstall. I do not want this popping up in the user's face (for obvious reasons). This dialog is not bypassed with the above command line switches.

Are there any command line options to disable/bypass this dialog? I would rather not have to create a custom solution for this.

PepiMK
2009-02-11, 15:27
Hmmm... which malware company are you working for exactly? :laugh:

Or are you one of those guys from McAfee, Kaspersky or Trend Micro who botch their automated uninstallation attempt? And you're now trying to get away from the legal power all those testinmonials of forced uninstallation give us?

edit: ok, seeing your IP, I notice that your neither of those, but belong to a company using our software without license... do you really expect support for a pirated copy? :D

Rartugar
2009-02-11, 18:23
Hardly, when software installation is not locked on a system you have these types of issues. As a company we do not install Spybot on systems, but users can still go out and get it, which we do not condone.

I asked a simple question, assuming that the product should support the documented procedures of the install scripting. I also assumed that you would want companies to remain in compliance with your EULA (which changed in 1.5).

The purpose is to keep our user community in compliance. As far as piracy, how so? A user installing a freely available product from a vendor website? I humbly apologize that all of our users don't read the EULA, I will make sure I report those 9 people to the authorities immediately.

Great customer service, I guess we did make the right choice by not going with Spybot.

SpybotStinks
2009-05-27, 14:33
I too have the exact same problem. Users inadvertantly install this FREEWARE and I cannot get rid of it.

It causes memory errors when installed with other antispyware apps that also run in the background. Our policy is to remove it on site, but I cannot due to this issue.

I submit to you, software that has an uninstall that causes pop-ups is ittself spamware and should be considered unsafe.

SpybotStinks
2009-05-27, 14:38
Furthermore, the site stinks and I cannot find the license agreement, other thatn a sloppily written one that really gives no information about corporate of government use, other than to say that there is a corporate site where you can get an outdated version for corporate deployment.

Dont' give us this BS about license violations if I cannot locate the license on the site, and then spam users who try to uninstall the product.

PepiMK
2009-05-27, 16:45
The Download (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html) page, under Important information:

Have you read the License (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/license/index.html)?
And from that:

II.e. Corporate use
As companies are not individual persons and would have problems fullfilling the above terms, there is a license for corporate users that can be found at safer-networking.ie (http://www.safer-networking.ie/).
That's really not that bad to find for anyone who reads the license and not just skips it. If you could not locate it, how did you download it?

The corporate version number may be lower, but if you compare the build date, its not "outdated". And there'll be a corporate 1.6.3 earlier than the free release.