PDA

View Full Version : Scan Stops

scrapper
2005-11-18, 00:47
Every time I run S&D my scan stops and locks up at coolwwwsearch.feat2dll. Can I get rid of this? I am running current version and have installed all updates.
Thank You

tashi
2005-11-19, 04:22
Hello.
Could you tell us your Operating system please.
Also open Spybot>Help>About
Let us know the version and latest detection update.
Thanks.

150 Baker
2005-11-19, 04:26
When I attempt to run a scan (spyware) the scan stops or you could say gets hung up while this verbage is showing in the check file box. Running Bot-check (6799/31742:coolwwwsearch. Whats up! It s just does not get past this point.

tashi
2005-11-19, 04:31
Hello.

Please open Spybot>Help>About.

Let us know the version and latest detection update.

How long does it hang? Do you stop the scan when it hangs or have you tried to let it finish.

Thank you. :)

150 Baker
2005-11-19, 08:49
Version 1.4 --- update 11-18-2005 ---- I will let it run @ that spot for about 15 min. Then try to stop the scan which it some times wont let me do ,. So i go to end task in my task manager and stop scan.

150 Baker
2005-11-24, 03:22
Have you resolved this. I have the same problem and have not heard back since their inital response.

LonnyRJones
2005-11-24, 05:14
Hi baker

Its a common problem which is usualy solved by installing SpyBot 1.4

150 Baker
2005-11-25, 19:43
I sent in a question on this about a week ago. The problem has not been resolved. I tried a correction move by BITMAn with regards to Taskmanager and increase proiority to high. What happens next? Am I in the wrong chat room.? I have the current version of spybot! Can I call a freind?

150 Baker
2005-11-25, 19:52
I sent this in about a week ago. I tried the bitman move of raising the set affinity. Mine is set Priority of which i raised to high. Nothing has worked? what should I do? Is there a number to call? what is the next step? Can I call a freind. Am i In the correct chat areana?

bvbbv
2005-12-13, 17:34
The delay at Feat2DLL is due to an extreme number of randomly named dll's that have been installed in \windows and \windows\system32 (I found almost 5000 on one machine). Just be (extremely) patient while Spybot finds them all. You can prove this to yourself (while you're waiting) by running HijackThis and seeing an obscene number of similar BHO's. To get rid of these registry entries, you may need to go to HJT's Config page and check "Mark everything found for fixing after scan" -- then uncheck all those that are not clearly bad news before clicking "Fix Checked".

150 Baker
2005-12-14, 06:03
Where do I go to find tha process you mentioned

bitman
2005-12-14, 06:31
Though it is possible that malware or large number's of DLL files in these folders could cause the extremely slow scans, it isn't the only cause.

Over the last couple weeks we've been seeing a number of these apparent hangs or freezes, usually starting with the CoolWWWSearch detections though also occasionally in other later detections.

The only confirmed issue found at this point is an interaction with the Yahoo AntiSpyware program, which was confirmed by removing that program and scanning again. There was also another case which appeared to be caused by a different and less well known program. In either case, running the scan in Safe Mode seemed to work fine, which pointed to a probable interaction with other loaded software that wasn't loading in Safe Mode.

I noticed that you had mentioned some kind of issue running a scan in Safe Mode, but I don't really understand what the problem was. If you could confirm that the scan works in Safe Mode and let us know what other anti-malware programs you are running we might possibly be able to help.

D43xyz
2006-01-16, 21:23
:bigthumb: So the solution to the "hang" relating to CoolWWW etcis to let it run until it completes even if this takes much longer than normal? How long is it taking people? I'm using Win98SE.

Dave

bitman
2006-01-16, 21:51
Since this thread was last posted to a month ago there have been many other hang type situations discovered and to some extent solved. Many had malware involved that required manual removal before the problem was fixed.

However, the CoolWWWSearch issue seems to be more related to the additional detections created for this malware over the last couple months and possible interaction with other anti-malware software as I mentioned in the previous post.

The first thing you should try is performing a Spybot scan while in Safe Mode. If this scans at normal speeds for your PC, then it might be software interaction. If you believe you have malware, you can skip this step and go directly to the Malware forum to post a log following the instructions in this thread.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

gastonne
2006-01-17, 03:46
:)
Every time I run S&D my scan stops and locks up at coolwwwsearch.feat2dll. Can I get rid of this? I am running current version and have installed all updates.
Thank You
Have exactly the same problem.It will be very appreciate that someone help me to find a solution.Thanks