PDA

View Full Version : how hot is to hot?

2009-02-11, 01:33
Hi everyone, got a couple questions. I built my own pc last weekend, I know i did everything right as i have a more knowledgeable tech friend verify my work.

Sad thing is, i think i have a heat issue. Knowledgeable friend cant come until next week to look at it; so i thought i would ask here while i wait....

Heres my info: asus m3a78-t ; Amd phenom 2 x4 920 ; 4gb of corsair ddr2 ram with heatsinks ; corsair 750wat pwr supply. I have a cpu heatsink that i use that came with the motherboard. Thermal was cleaned off and re-added to try to solve this problem. Seems like its running cooler after that. Second fan is in back, running on high power. Small 80mm fan in front sucking air in from front and blowing air towards back installed. I seem to have good airflow, but let me get to the point at why i think its to hot.

I downloaded a cpu monitor program from download.com. Its called core temp. It got good reviews and seems decent. However, in red in the taskbar where it shows the heat level for cpu, it reads 96f to 100f most of the time. Idle is around 90f. Is this really bad? The bios shows temp at usually between 67f-83f on first turn on. So, anyone know if this is running to hot? if no one knows, is there a place i can go that will help me find more information on how to tell? Maybe a better program?

PS: NO OVERCLOCKING WAS DONE; also all temps are in Fahrenheit that i talked about above.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the long post! :)

shelf life
2009-02-11, 03:02
Asus has a utility you can find on the boards CD. Asus PC Probe II. It will monitor CPU temp as well as other things. You can also get it off the asus website:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

My X2 Intel core is running at 35C/93F. I think the default on the asus probe is like 65C/149F. I dont think your temp is out of line. You might find more info on the AMD CPU website about normal cpu temps. If you use another fan other than the stock fan that came with the cpu you might get better cooling

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_15331_15917,00.html

2009-02-11, 04:35
Thanks so much, that was exactly what i wanted to know. I won't worry about my temp now, as i read what you said about your cpu and the links and everything is apparently operating at recommend levels. I'm happy that i don't need to sink more money into this thing. ;)