PDA

View Full Version : WinAntiVirus Pro 2006

ChristopherR
2009-02-13, 16:13
Hi, thanks for any help you can give.

Computer OS XP pro SP2

I’ve had some problems with the computer running slowly etc so uninstalled a lot of old / useless stuff including the free version of Avast antivirus which I believe was causing part of the problem.

Now running much better so thought I would try to install AVG antivirus but it tells me I already have another antivirus program running. No such program shows up in the add/remove program list but there is an icon in the control panel for WinAntiVirus Pro 2006. When I click on it there is no response but I wonder if this is causing the problem, I understand this is not genuine antivirus.

I cannot remember well, but I may have tried to remove this (WinAntiVirus Pro 2006) some considerable time ago, and thought it was gone.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

ken545
2009-02-15, 13:17
Hello

Welcome to Safer Networking.

Please read Before You Post (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)
That said, All advice given by anyone volunteering here, is taken at your own risk.
While best efforts are made to assist in removing infections safely, unexpected stuff can happen.

You need to read the stickies in Before You Post, there put there for reason, it puts us on the same page and makes the clean up process faster.

WinAntiVirus Pro 2006 <----This is a trojan

Download Trendmicros Hijackthis (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe) to your desktop.

Double click it to install
Follow the prompts and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe
Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
Go to Edit> Select All.....Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the Submit Reply and not start a New Thread.

DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

ken545
2009-02-21, 12:12
Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note: If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.