PDA

View Full Version : Spybot S&D 1.6.2.46 right click malware search is much slower as in previos versions

bastik
2009-02-13, 20:48
Hello,

I updated recently to 1.6.2.46.

The previous version(s) didn't take long for examination per right-click menu. 1.6.2.46 does take much longer to check files. 5 times longer or even more.

Even trivial txt-files (2kb in size) take over two seconds. (Loaded a folder of it to speed it up) It isn't the initialization process that is slow it seems to be the scanning itself.

You should note that the scanning process of the main application is much faster as in previous versions.

Version 1.6.2.46
Version of SDFiles.exe: 1.6.1.7 (SHA1: 3bbcd56323409aefb42a94e16c844476353854e0)

My system (including hardware) hasn't changed during the update process.

Thank you for any help.

bastik

EDIT: I should tell you that I haven't removed the previous version, before I installed 1.6.2.46. But I never did before.

2009-02-13, 21:09
you remove all instances of spybot, and then download a whole new copy and see if that helps; since you stated that you have the previous version still on there...

I have noticed that when there are older versions of spybot on the system, it causes spybot to slow down in some areas. It couldn't hurt to try this out and see if it solves the problem.

See this link (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html) to completely get rid of spybot. Then download the newest version and let us know if that makes a difference.

bastik
2009-02-13, 21:15
Thank you for you fast reply. I will try that.

I was about to do that, but I wanted to ask first.

bastik
2009-02-13, 21:52
I removed Spybot S&D like described in the instruction, but the behavior still exists. (I removed it completely)

Avira AntiVir 8 is installed. Disabling doesn't change anything.
Comodo Internet Securtiy is also installed. (AntiVirus component (on access scanner) is always disabled) Disabling both doesn't change anything.

Should I try and older version of Spybot S&D?

bastik
2009-02-13, 22:21
I have an installer for 1.5.2. Thought that would be the newest after 1.6.2.(46), but I found an installer for 1603 final on my comupter. So I could try it with this version. Or if you have an archive with older version I could download the version 1.6.2.0 to try it. I haven't found the archive (if existing) yet.

I saw that testing of version 2.0 is in progress. If it is stable enough I wouldn't have a problem with trying it.

I will wait for further instruction.

Thank you,
bastik

bastik
2009-02-14, 10:14
I noticed a difference between 1.6.0 or 1.6.2 to 1.6.2.46.

The previous version(s) showed "waiting" for the files in the list for checking. It was so fast that I can't say what it showed in the moment as it checked the files. (Can't remember) I haven't found any malware so I can't tell what should be shown in this case. "Nothing found" was shown.

Now it shows "queued" for files that are not checked. "Scanning [filename]" while checking. "Nothing found".

bastik
2009-02-14, 10:40
I ignored my plan to wait for instruction and installed 1603 final.

1.6.2.46 takes 30+ seconds to scan a folder containing 18 JPG's and 2 TXT-files. (9,5 MB all together)

1.6.0.3 (final) takes less then 3 seconds for all files.

CPU usage is not high. 1.6.2.46 doesn't consume more resources as 1.6.0.3.

I was wrong 1.6.0.3 shows "queued" too. "waiting" is only showed as the list of files is loaded.

Should I stick to 1.6.0.3 for the moment?
or switch forward to 1.6.2.46?

bastik
2009-02-14, 11:00
I removed 1.6.0.3 again to try 1.6.2.46. The problem does still exist.

Any suggestions about this?

Thank you.

2009-02-18, 22:08
I have thought long and hard, and i am not sure what else can be done. You have done everything i was going to suggest haha. I personally do not feel like there has been a slowdown, but it is possible I just do not notice it. Hopefully another member will be able to assist/give more information. Sorry I could not help you any further...

bastik
2009-02-20, 23:03
Don't care about that.

If you don't feel anything it is related to my system. It is such a slowdown for me. The search for malware is fast as usual, but analysis of specific files is so slow. This can't be just more signatures to check or a new scan method..

I never did, but with the older version a whole analysis of all files on C would take an hour, with the new version it would take the whole day... (maybe not that long)

It came with an update and I hope it will be gone with an update.

If anyone else has a suggestion please do not mind to tell me.

bastik
2009-02-20, 23:46
I removed SpybtSD again an installed the latest version again.

It works (worked) if I leave it as it is. It is as fast as before. If I do an update (no beta) it is slow as I reported.

On previous installation-processes I downloaded the signature directly afgter installation. Now I tested it without updating.

It is not the immunization, it has to be the signature update,

I'm not sure what to do now. it is unsafe to run it without the latest signatures.

Well, using SpybotSD to scan my system is more important than to scan files.

Matt
2009-02-21, 15:37
Hi bastik,

it's necessary to update Spybot every week. Otherwise, TeaTimer, the immunization and the file scanner aren't up-to-date. ;)

After Spybot has downloaded updates and you've immunized your system, please reboot your computer.

Best regards,
-Matt-

bastik
2009-02-21, 19:17
I update every Friday.

1.6.2 scans (single files) faster as 1.6.2.46 with the same updates. I think 1.6.2 gets the same signatures as 1.6.2.46...

1.6.2.46 without updates scans as fast as 1.6.2 (even after reboot)
With update and reboot (normal installation) it is very slow.

That's my problem. I consider it more necessary to scan my whole PC as just single files. Since the whole scan isn't slower I don't really care... although I would like if single file scan would be faster again. This problem seems to affect only me.... So I hope it's gone if I update next Friday.

Thank you for reply.

drragostea
2009-02-21, 20:21
There is only one version of Spybot-Search&Destroy at the moment, v.1.6.2 = 1.6.2.46. So basically your talking about the same thing when you refer to v.1.6.2. In your earlier posts, I wouldn't suggest using the single file scanner for a whole fixed drive. That'll take forever.

In my perspective, I don't think Immunization, update files, or the TeaTimer component has anything to do with your "slow scanning".

I ignored my plan to wait for instruction and installed 1603 final.

1.6.2.46 takes 30+ seconds to scan a folder containing 18 JPG's and 2 TXT-files. (9,5 MB all together)

1.6.0.3 (final) takes less then 3 seconds for all files.
It's not about the scanning time, it's about how thorough the scan is (in my opinion). I recall that the file scanner in v.1.6.0 wasn't as developed as 1.6.2. 30 seconds is believable since Spybot is doing a heuristics and performing a scan for malware at the same time.

bastik
2009-02-27, 17:49
I don't care.... I keep it as it is....

To sum it up again:
Clean install of 1.6.2.46 is as fast as the previous version. Performing the first update makes it slow. (This is more than just the signatures and heuristic) That does only affect the "single file scan". General scanning is as fast as always.

I use Spybot S&D mainly to check for infection. Beside that I scan my USB-thumb drive weekly.... My system has a higher priority as my usb-drive... so I will not care as long as general scanning is as fast as assumed.

I will try 2.0 when it's ready. (RC, equal or higher)

DO NOT reply to this thread. Please help others.... with other problems.

Matt
2009-02-27, 17:53
Hi bastik,

I hope you know that the file scanner was developed for scanning single files, not huge folders. ;)

No problem, we try to help you too. :)

Best reagards,
-Matt-