PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6/1.6.2 & McAfee Total Protection 2008/2009

Dudeman
2009-02-15, 23:09
Hello. I recently tried installing Spybot and McAfee on my computer together. I am running Vista Home Premium on this one. When, I installed it my computer started acting really weird and which basically led me to believe as if there's some sort of compatibility issue here, maybe? Well, when I installed both of them on my old computer running XP Home Edition, they worked perfectly fine together. So, I was hoping; would someone please explain to me what's wrong here?

drragostea
2009-02-15, 23:54
McAfee's the problem.
To bypass this, install Spybot-Search&Destroy after McAfee has been installed.

Dudeman
2009-02-16, 03:33
Yes, I tried that but still, same situation...

drragostea
2009-02-16, 04:04
Can you explain what was "weird"?

Dudeman
2009-02-16, 19:02
Well, after installing both, whenever I rebooted the system; my internet connection would stop working, a couple of my startup programs wouldn't load up, taskbar icons would disappear, and the computer would freeze up for a bit of time.

Abdee
2009-02-16, 23:01
The exact same problem happened to me along with crashes and extremely slow performance. I uninstalled Mcafee shortly after a few hours of freezes and blue-screens, it was a real nightmare. It was also really difficult to get rid of it, what a piece of junk!:mad:

drragostea
2009-02-17, 02:09
Sorry to hear of your problems.
I have an idea :present:. Let's try a 'trial-and-error' method.

Can you uninstall McAfee and reboot the computer and see what happens then (I'm assuming you can install it and you'll still be subscribed with no problems)?

Dudeman
2009-02-17, 13:44
Well, after all the freezing up and everything, I just decided to do a recovery (opened thread after recovery). So, right now I don't have either programs on my computer. I don't want that to happen again, which is why I was asking about the compatibility.

drragostea
2009-02-18, 03:29
I doubt Spybot-Search&Destroy is the cause of your problems. Try reinstalling Spybot.

Dudeman
2009-02-18, 17:17
Reinstall Spybot without McAfee? One thing I noticed before that might be the problem, not sure...Since I installed McAfee first, I let it take over as my Security Center. After that, when installing Spybot, there's an option for Security Center integration I believe, I checked that. So, maybe that's why the two weren't getting along?

drragostea
2009-02-19, 22:30
I don't think its the compatibility with the Security Center. I'm assuming you're using Windows Vista correct (Vista gives you a spyware tab in the Security Center)?

I doubt it's Spybot-SD's problem. If you install it by itself without McAfee it should work fine. I'm not sure what McAfee is up to. :mad:

Dudeman
2009-02-22, 16:54
I guess I'll try that. Well, thanks for your help. :)