PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having proiblems with the updater

firebrddriver
2009-02-16, 22:56
Tried checking fo any up-dates today,,on all 3 computers get the message that there is an "error retriving update info file",,running XP,,also have the very latest spybot. Anyone else having this problem,,thanks.

BTW I'm using the built in updater. I was able to update several days ago with no problems.

Name User
2009-02-16, 23:08
Yes, I'm getting the same problem. I can't even manually retrieve detection updates via their site because I can't connect to it. This all started after installing the 1.6.2 application update. Hopefully this is just the occasional server overload and not a bug in the new version.

vegaspat
2009-02-16, 23:25
Today I updated to 1.6.2.46 and even after re-installing it I keep getting the following message: Error retrieving update into file. (Stream read error)

Before I posting here I checked further back in this forum and saw where other folks had gotten this message but NOT with the -Stream read error-.

I have no idea what to check since none of the previous posts addressed this particular error.

I tried to Google for a solution but not too sure I should follow advice from folks not as familiar with SB as the folks here.

One note. When I re-installed I installed it over the existing program. Should I have un-installed it first?

Thanks.

the_Wop
2009-02-16, 23:44
I am also getting the "error retrieving update information file" message!

vegaspat
2009-02-16, 23:48
But are you getting the -Stream read error?

Others are getting the Error retrieving update into file error but not the same one I am getting.

It's very frustrating to say the least.

the_Wop
2009-02-16, 23:54
I am getting no Stream Error just the "error retrieving update file" message!

firebrddriver
2009-02-17, 00:49
I'm just getting the message I orginally posted,,I d/l'ed the latest version last week and was able to update since then,,until today,,,btw,,I wish they would tell you to uninstall any old versions before you install the newest one,,I installed over the previous version but I don't think thats the cause of the latest priblem. Also its taking unusually long for the spybot web site to load so maybe theres a bigger problem than what I'm having.

vegaspat
2009-02-17, 00:53
This is probably a dumb question but to any of the Spybot experts monitor this forum?

I just have no idea what to do next. Uninstall and start over or what!

PepiMK
2009-02-17, 00:57
The main server that hosts the main update information will get a memory upgrade in about 8 to 9 hours I hope - after that, it should work much smoother than currently :) (right now its choked a bit with people updating to 1.6.2)

Name User
2009-02-17, 01:09
Thanks Pepi. :bigthumb:

Terminator
2009-02-17, 01:41
Thats good to know:bigthumb:, I was getting worried that it might be my Firewall

drragostea
2009-02-17, 03:04
It should be working now, last checked 8:00 PM Eastern Time.

Terminator
2009-02-17, 10:19
Everything is working in the UK as of 8:18 AM:D:.

DougCuk
2009-02-17, 13:46
It's amazing how quickly people panic when things stop working - and assume it must be a problem with their equipment or software. The first thing I did was check if the main Spybot website was working - which it wasn't - all I got was Error 403 Forbidden Location. Conclusion server problems try again later.

In the analogue age everything was simpler - mostly the technology just worked - day in, day out, year after year - and you never had to reboot your TV or Phone because it had locked-up. These days you may need to reboot just about any device that contains a processor or wait for some remote server to reboot after a system crash. We get used to instant response and access but forget that things are a lot more complex than they used to be and sometimes we just have to switch off and try again later.

vegaspat
2009-02-18, 19:56
I didn't do anything but mine seems to be functioning okay.

Cart45
2009-02-18, 22:10
[I] keep getting warning msg:Please select some update files from the list first.both in the auto updater and when I push the search for updates button
But there is no list to choose any updates from?

ZENFLASH
2009-02-18, 23:29
Had no problem updating definitions today.

However last week most of your servers very slow.
Two updates fell over part way through (bad checksum)
message.Had to use three different servers to get all
downloaded.

Unusual problem I have not had before.:oops:

Just a comment.
ZENFLASH

PS.This is my first post-How do I change Junior Member to
Senior Member? I am 50+

Matt
2009-02-19, 14:52
H

PS.This is my first post-How do I change Junior Member to
Senior Member? I am 50+
:laugh: :laugh:

Hi ZENFLASH,

perhaps you have to wrote more posts in this forum?!? ;)

Best regards,
-Matt-

AriesNoViruses
2009-02-19, 21:35
I see a lot of people have updated to 16.2.

I did/tried an update to 16.2 a few days ago but I'm not sure its complete. and MY PROBLEM is Spybot trying to do an AUTOMATIC SCAN everytime I log onto my computer! and I did NOT choose that option! so I'm not even worried about the updates yet.

spybotsandra
2009-02-20, 11:50
Hello,

Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'tools'->'System Startup'
Then mark the following entry and remove it: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

mooman
2009-02-22, 10:21
I am getting this exact same problem.

Therefore Spybot cannot run its' daily update or check (I have check for updates at startup selected), and is therefore crippled and useless. :sad:

Matt
2009-02-22, 18:35
Hi mooman,

I guess you have installed Spybot 1.6.2.46 oder 1.6.0.30... :)

If your updater doesn't work, then you should try a complete (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html) un-install of Spybot. After that, reboot your computer and install a fresh 1.6.2.46 version. ;)

I always recommend to un-install and old version of every security tool before installing the new one. :grandpa: ;)

Best regards,
-Matt-

Franciscus
2009-03-08, 15:56
[I] keep getting warning msg:Please select some update files from the list first.both in the auto updater and when I push the search for updates button
But there is no list to choose any updates from?

I too keep getting that, but, apparently only on THIS machine, The list seems to come up but just flashes by. At least there is a window that flashes by. The XP machine behind me is not giving me that error and appears to be updating., as does the Windows 7 test machine, and the other XP Machine. I dont know yet about the other Vista machine, It is currently reinstalling due to an update it seems I completely uninstalled, rebooted, and then reinstalled but while it updated during install, it now will not. I can manually update though.

Xboxnpizza
2009-04-27, 12:39
I have 2 computers that won't update. Even my iPhone won't go onto the spybot website. But when I turn the wifi off on my iPhone I can go onto the site. I have a dlink wireless router and I believe that's where the problem lies.