PDA

View Full Version : System Startup says "Virus, resource hog, etc"

TreeHead
2009-02-18, 00:27
Everyone of the various descriptions say this entry is a virus, resource hog, etc. with not one legitimate purpose and I cannot toggle this entry within Tools/System Startup. Can anyone shed some light on this (see below)?

From Spybot Report (System Startup)
Located: System.ini, Shell
where: C:\WINDOWS\system.ini...
command: Explorer.exe
file:
size: 0
MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
Warning: if the file is actually larger than 0 bytes,
the checksum could not be properly calculated!

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-18, 05:36
TreeHead:

What Windows OS are you running?

TreeHead
2009-02-18, 12:57
I'm still using Windows ME

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-18, 14:22
TreeHead:

It is a legitimate startup entry and required in Windows ME.

Unlike most startup entries that are in a registry entry, on Windows 9X and ME systems that particular entry is a line in a file. In order for that entry to be deleted the file has to be edited. However particular entry should not be deleted.

The following entry is a valid entry and necessary on Windows 9X and ME systems:

System.ini(C:\WINDOWS\system ini) SHELL Explorer.exeOn Windows 9X and ME systems the entry Shell=explorer.exe is the interactive graphical user interface shell i.e. the Windows taskbar and desktop environment.

In that type of entry, if you have other programs besides Explorer.exe by itself there is a potential that the other programs are Trojans or malware. i.e.
system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe xxxxxxxx.exe yyyyyyyy.exe
In the above example xxxxxxxx.exe yyyyyyyy.exe could be a potential Trojans or malware.

I suggest that you just leave the entry alone.

TreeHead
2009-02-19, 04:46
Thanks for the helpful info. It's good to know I don't have to worry about that entry.

Regards,
David