PDA

View Full Version : How do I restore my registry

Cirdan
2009-02-18, 08:51
I installed the latest version of Spybot (1.6.2) on my granddaughter's computer tonight and, during one of the installation steps, was prompted to make a backup of the registry (which I did). Having done the registry backup, I thought that it would be a good time to clean up some registry entries that were left after Network Magic was uninstalled.

The problem is, I am sure that I deleted two registry entries that did not relate to the uninstalled program. I do feel that I need to restore those entries in case they are critical and now is the best (/only) time to do so. Can someone tell me how to restore the registry to the state it that was backed up by S&D?

spybotsandra
2009-02-18, 13:57
Hello,

In order to revert to a registry backup, please run Windows in Safe Mode. (how to run Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Be sure that hidden files are shown http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html
Now execute the following 2 files (maybe it is just one of them): regusers.reg and reglocal.reg in the following folder:

- Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups\

- Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups\

- Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups\

Answer "Yes" when prompted to add its contents to the Registry. Then reboot.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Cirdan
2009-02-18, 16:49
Thank you so much, SpybotSandra, for getting me started. It seems, though, that nothing is simple.

In this case, I found that the "How to show hidden files" link in your response was incorrect or was redirected. In either case, I ended up at http://www.telecom.co.nz/help/content/0,10709,205864-1000,00.html, a telecom help page.

When I executed regLocal.reg in safe mode, I got the error: "Cannot import {filepath}/regLocal.reg: Error accessing the registry."

When I executed regUsers.reg in safe mode, I got the error: "Cannot import {filepath}/regUsers.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

Is this the best we can do or are there other steps that will restore the registry?

I am sorry that I did not include my system details in the original post. My granddaughter uses Windows XP home as her OS.

One more thing that, perhaps, you could help me to understand. How can I search this forum and find answers to questions like the one in my original post? When I do a simple keyword search for restore registry, I get myriads of threads containing the word registry or the word restore. Also, I do not see options within advanced search that will return precisely what I intend to query. I am sure I am missing something simple. If I could find answers quickly on my own, I could free you to help others.

I do appreciate all that you do to help others.

spybotsandra
2009-02-18, 17:10
Hello,

Try this one:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Cirdan
2009-02-18, 17:17
The new link on showing hidden files works great and the information is correct. I did know how to show hidden files, but what just trying to help you provide the correct link in the future.

About the other questions?...

LoneLurker
2009-02-18, 17:20
ragergle,

Have you tried to Google or Yahoo! that inquiry? Do not have the link but try the Microsoft website for any HELP so you can get to the specific O/S you have and that will be directly from the HORSES mouth.

Thank you for reading this not too helpful posted toaster,

Cirdan
2009-02-18, 17:29
ragergle,

Have you tried to Google or Yahoo! that inquiry? Do not have the link but try the Microsoft website for any HELP so you can get to the specific O/S you have and that will be directly from the HORSES mouth.

Thank you for reading this not too helpful posted toaster,

Yes, I can find information on how to make and restore registry backups outside of this forum. My original question should really have been: Where did Spybot S&D store the backup. The answer can be found by searching this forum, but I am search-handicapped.

My more general goal is to learn the answers to my questions quickly on my own. Perhaps you know how to search the forum?

LoneLurker
2009-02-18, 17:40
Yes, I can find information on how to make and restore registry backups outside of this forum. My original question should really have been: Where did Spybot S&D store the backup. The answer can be found by searching this forum, but I am search-handicapped.

My more general goal is to learn the answers to my questions quickly on my own. Perhaps you know how to search the forum?

ragergle,

I do not do much searching on any of these forums, you may try to use the double quotation marks ("registry restore") around your request for more specific information, that works on other search engines to make the listings a little more to what you are needing. Not sure if that works in their search engine but is worth a TRY, I am just a HEAD LONG charger to solve mine own problems that usually create for meself. Also do like the ENGLISH LANGUAGE for rewordings and goofy messages, because; that is just what I am, GOOFY!! NO I do not work for Disney.

Hope this may give you some satisfaction and thank you for reading mine bloater,

Cirdan
2009-02-18, 17:56
Quotes give the same results: The search is still for the logical expression: "restore" .or. "registry". (I tried that search entry for my second try.)

Cirdan
2009-02-18, 19:32
Hi all--
I did find an additional search option. In the black bar above, you will find a link labeled support. Click on this and you have another full-text search option which gives different results. This seems to use much the same logic as the forum search window.

If anyone knows how to precisely target a multi-word phrase within this forum, please post.
Thank you.

Daffy127
2009-02-21, 20:59
Sandra,
Thank you for your information in this thread. About 2 weeks ago, something apparently corrupted the registry on my computer (XP Pro). I tried to do numerous restores and nothing worked. It was as if everything had reverted back to day one, like I had just installed all programs. After finding this thread and following your instructions, everything was back to working normally.
I now have two questions. The two backup files you mentioned on my computer have a date of 8-7-2008. What stored these files there and is there a way to update them to the latest registery entries?
Again thank you for saving my computer.

Chuck

Daffy127
2009-02-22, 20:05
Bump up

spybotsandra
2009-02-23, 14:26
Hello,

Those backup was probably made when you installed Spybot on your pc.
The wizard gives you a function to make a backup.
If you want to make a new one now you can also do that.
Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to the Advanced mode via the menu item Mode.
Now select 'Settings' - 'Settings' from the navigation bar on the left.
Now choose 'Wizard' from the navigation bar above.
If you want you can make a backup now.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot