PDA

View Full Version : SpybotSD process starts but no main window appears

obender
2009-02-20, 01:11
I have a pretty odd issue. When I start SpybotSD I can see it in the task manager but there is no main window it seems like something is blocking it from fully launching. Any ideas?

drragostea
2009-02-20, 03:46
Do you have any symptoms of a spyware infection? Can you try renaming the Spybot desktop icon?

obender
2009-02-20, 22:16
Yes, there was a spyware on the PC which I was trying to fix.
In my view it is a bit pointless to have spyware cleaning software which dies when there is a spyware on the PC :)
I cleared the problem with SuperAntiSpyware and then SpybotSD started and (obviously) reported no issues :)

Matt
2009-02-20, 22:55
In my view it is a bit pointless to have spyware cleaning software which dies when there is a spyware on the PC :)

Some Malware blocks Spybot. :sad:

I cleared the problem with SuperAntiSpyware and then SpybotSD started and (obviously) reported no issues :)

Can you remember which one it was? Do you know the name? Are you sure, you are completely free of Malware? Here are some signs:
http://www.virusvault.us/signs1.html

It's always good to have one or two tools in reserve. ;)

Best regards,
-Matt-

obender
2009-02-20, 23:12
There were a few. One was DNS switcher and another Rootkit.Agent...something sorry cannot recall the name.

Matt
2009-02-20, 23:19
There were a few. One was DNS switcher and another Rootkit.Agent...something sorry cannot recall the name.

Hi,

there was also the possiblity to open a new thread in the Malware Removal Forum. A security expert can help you there.

Best regards,
-Matt-

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-20, 23:37
obender:

... In my view it is a bit pointless to have spyware cleaning software which dies when there is a spyware on the PC :) ...
I disagree. Just because Spybot was disabled by whatever malware you had, I don't think you should conclude that it is "pointless" to have it.

What if next time you encounter malware and it disables SuperAntiSpyware? Possibly Spybot will be able to detect and resolve the problem.

The situation that you encountered is precisely why it is recommended that you use multiply anti-malware scanners. Evidentially, the "spyware" that you encountered focused on disabling Spybot and not SuperAntiSpyware. That may be because SuperAntiSpyware protects itself better or just because SuperAntiSpyware is less widely distributed than Spybot.

In either case I suggest that you use multiple anti-malware scaners even if you no longer use Spybob because you think it is "pointless".

obender
2009-02-21, 00:05
I think you are missing my point. I didn't say having SpybotSD is pointless I said (meant) that it is pointless for any spyware removal tool to be so vulnerable. It must be coded defensively to withstand malware attacks.

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-21, 01:50
obender:

I think you are missing my point. I didn't say having SpybotSD is pointless I said (meant) that it is pointless for any spyware removal tool to be so vulnerable. It must be coded defensively to withstand malware attacks.
I really didn't think that I was missing the point. You allowed malware into your system that happened to disable Spybot. It could have disabled SuperAntiSpyware or even your entire system.

Malware purveyors target what they feel is most worthy of their effort to achieve their indented purpose. In this case it was apparently Spybot.

If the point of your post is to help improve Spybot and not just to point out that that it is vulnerable to attacks by certain malware, you could detail what malware you eventually found.

obender
2009-02-21, 02:48
The last spyware that prevented Spybot from starting up was Rootkit.Agent.
If that helps to make Spybot more robust I'll be thrilled.

On unrelated note, sometimes getting too defensive is a sign of weakness btw ;)

Matt
2009-02-21, 16:32
The last spyware that prevented Spybot from starting up was Rootkit.Agent.
If that helps to make Spybot more robust I'll be thrilled.

After SuperAntiSpyware has detected this rootkit, you have the possibility to sent theese infected files to Spybot, so it can be added to the detection rules in the future. ;)
For more information, read this here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1699

On unrelated note, sometimes getting too defensive is a sign of weakness btw ;)
Who is defensive?

Best regards,
-Matt-