PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Registries & System areas on External Hard Drives

Puterguy
2009-02-20, 04:41
I do a lot of malware cleanup for friend's and neighbor's computers. I was wondering if it is possible to scan the registry and system areas of drives that are mounted in external USB drive cases using Spybot.

I noticed that you are developing a Spybot ISO image to make CDs, so I would think that remote registry scanning is possible, but I don't want to have to download 600-700 Megs each time I need to clean up a computer, unless I really have to. I know that you used to be able to scan and edit registries using Bart PE plugins, so I'm wondering if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-20, 06:03
Puterguy:

You could try using the "/allhives" parameter which will scan all windows installations on your system, even inactive ones. See:
Are there any command line parameters?
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=faq&detail=30

Puterguy
2009-02-25, 22:10
Thanks MD. BTW, why do I have to continually log in again to reply to a message? It seems like the timeout function is set to something like 5 minutes or something on my account. I know I'm a newb around here, but sheesh! TIA.

drragostea
2009-02-26, 00:05
The time out for a login session is 15 minutes. Not sure why it is like 5 minutes for you. It only times out when there is no activity from the user.