PDA

View Full Version : Spybot takes 6+hours to scan

berto171
2009-02-20, 16:36
I google searched this topic and only found threads from 2006. I came here and searched was unable to find anything.

I have a PIII 700mhz computer with 512M ram. I have run spybot on it in the past with no issues. In the past months though, it takes 6-8 hours to do a scan. This is ridiculous. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks in advance,

Berto

Matt
2009-02-20, 17:36
Hi berto171,

welcome to Safer Networking Forums. :)

Which operating system do you use?

Which version of Spybot do you run?
I hope for your own security and scan time that you use Spybot 1.6.2.46 ;) If not, please uninstall the old version, reboot your computer and install the new one which you can get from here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards,
-Matt-

berto171
2009-02-20, 19:00
i use win xp. And yes I have downloaded the most recent spybot.

Matt
2009-02-20, 19:29
Hi,

one reason for your long scan time could be your slow CPU and your 512MB RAM. How much RAM does Windows and all other tools need when your pc has booted? Therefore, please open your taskmanager after everything has loaded and tell me.

Perhaps you haven't enough RAM to ran faster... :scratch:

Best regards,
-Matt-

berto171
2009-02-20, 21:53
i will check later and let you know but the thing is...

It used to run ok on the same computer. The CPU and Ram hasn't changed, just the speed of the program.

drragostea
2009-02-21, 20:28
It seems like your processor speed is the problem. Even if you had 1GB of RAM on a 900Mhz processor it won't go any faster.

My guess is narrowed down to your P3 700Mhz processor.

2009-02-21, 22:32
I am wondering;

@ berto171

1.) Are you running any other programs while scanning? Try turning off your antivirus and any other active programs near the clock and try again. Does the scan still take really long? You might be having too many things running at once.

2.) Try the scan in safe mode and see if it takes less time. If it does, this is related to a software conflict.

3.) How big is the hard drive?

4.) Do you have other external drives connected while scanning with spybot?

K_X_K
2009-02-22, 20:53
I downloaded Spybot yesterday. The first time I scanned it takes only 30 mins, but after Spybot asked me to restart computer and scan after computer restarted.. It takes more than 10 hours already. Should I cancel the scan and do something about it first?

spybotsandra
2009-02-23, 14:28
Hello,

If you are not using a very old system without enough storage it might also depend on how much programs you have running when the scan is on and how much memory they need. It should help to close other programs while you are scanning.

Further please run a scan in safe mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
That should fix it.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot