PDA

View Full Version : Bad checksum no matter what mirror or time

atomich
2009-02-21, 02:32
Hello,

I have reinstalled Spybot S&D twice to no avail. I did a manual update for the last three definitions, but it refuses to update the immunization data base and English descriptions no matter which mirror I choose ( I have tried them ALL multiple times) or time of day.

I have disabled BitDefender AV to no avail.
I have uninstalled Lavasoft Ad-Aware with no effect.
I have disabled Tea timer using the Task Manager
Apparently, I cannot get my installation of Windows XP Pro to do a selective boot, and I need my modem driver installed so I can connect, so Safe Mode doesn't help much either.

Months ago, I had so much difficulty with bad checksum errors that I quit using SB. It just refused to download updates. Recently, a friend got hacked, and I hate to be without it.

Any help you could give me to get this figured out will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I have searched here plenty and tried what I have found, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Please don't tell me to try a different server at a slow time of day for its location. I have done that dozens and dozens of times. It is something else.

Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-21, 08:24
atomich:

I just downloaded the following files from both Safer-Networking #2 and SecurityWonks.net #1:
Immunization database - !Updated Immunization database (546 KB)- 2008-11-05
English descriptions - English target descriptions file (281 KB) - 2008-09-10
There is nothing wrong with the files themselves.

A "Bad checksum" error indicates that after an update file was download (or the transmission was prematurely terminated) there was a discrepancy between the expected MD5 hash value of the update file contained in the spybotsd.ini control file and the actual MD5 hash value of the file downloaded to your system. There can be several causes for "Bad checksum" problems. For example:
The spybotsd.ini control file is an old copy of the file because either a local proxy server or an ISP proxy server is caching an old spybotsd.ini control file and not recognizing a new file is available.
The download of an update file timed out and the transmission of the file never completed normally.
There was a problem with the transmission itself resulting in a corrupted downloaded file caused by poor quality network facilities (noise/interference on the transmission facility).
The file(s) uploaded to the various mirror sites or the MD5 hash value in the spybotsd.ini control file for those updates were mismatched. Although this is a rare occurrence, human errors have occurred in the past where incorrect files have been placed on the update mirrors or incorrect MD5 hash values have been placed in the spybotsd.ini control file. This type of failure is normally universal to all users or at least to all the users of a particular download server. Because of the nature of this type of problem, it is usually reported by multiple users and quickly rectified.
I ruled out cause #4 on both Safer-Networking #2 and SecurityWonks.net #1 by downloading the files and verifying the MD5 hash values. Therefore the most likely causes are one of the first three problems I listed. In addition since there have not been wide spread complaints about "Bad checksum" errors the problem seems to be unique to your system.

atomich
2009-02-21, 19:06
Hello,

Thanks for the response.

All of the previous updates needed after a fresh install downloaded without a problem, but they are smaller sized files (usually less than 500kb).

I wasn't trying to imply that it was the servers' faults or bad files on the part of Spybot, and I understand the reasons for a bad checksum, but I am having trouble tracking down the cause. I don't think it is line noise because I am successfully downloading all kinds of other stuff.

Reason number 1 doesn't seem like it is applicable because the problem has existed for months. A time-out error seems likely, but I am not getting a specific message in that regard, and it isn't happening with other downloads.

Since the problem has existed for months, I agree that there is probably some kind of conflict within my system. Do you have any suggestions on how I can find it?

Is there a way to re-initalize, rewrite, or tweak the spybotsd.ini file only?

Will having an old copy of SB S&D on a non-boot drive cause this problem? It is a SATA drive and I have unplugged it, rebooted, and tried to download again, but still have the same problem. This is drining me batty. :hair:

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-21, 20:07
atomich:

Download the following two files and verify the MD5 hash values (see Note #1):
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/clsid.zip
MD5= FAFD80BE8F24D5159CE6D8A611BB25C9
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/desc.english.zip
MD5=31A6D4DE4F73A803B5EB181917F23520
If and only if the MD5 hash values of the files are correct, extract the content of the files to the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes
Let me know the results you get.
_____

Note #1: To check the MD5 hash value you can use one of these programs (note: The download for MD5 Checker 2.31 is only 23892 bytes, so if you are having problems downloading that may be the best option):
MD5 Checker 2.31
MD5 Checker - Reviews and free MD5 Checker downloads at Download.com
http://www.download.com/MD5-Checker/3000-2092_4-10410639.html
FileAlyzer 1.5.5.0 from here:
Downloads - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
Also note that there is a another MD5 Checker recommended by PepiMK (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1) in post #3 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=122685&postcount=3) of the following thread:
1.5 Setup file corrupt
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18397

atomich
2009-02-21, 23:32
Hello MD fan,

The codes matched, so I copied the extracted files to my D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes folder.

I went to check updates and it still showed the same ones were available, so I tried to download them, and got a bad checksum error.

I am thinking the files you had me download and extract were the updated files installed manually?

I did not reboot.

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-22, 14:58
atomich:

... I am thinking the files you had me download and extract were the updated files installed manually? ...
Correct.

Although it is improbable because of the date of the two updates that you just did, to eliminate the possibility that the spybotsd.ini control file is being cached, open the following file with Notepad (the download spybotsd.ini control file is copied to the online.ini file during the update process):
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\online.ini (not the online.ini.uiz file)
You will notice that the online.ini file is organized by groups of control information:
[-Fixed]
[-General]
[-News]
[-Mirrors]
[-Mirrors.disabled]
[Detection rules: Update]
Etc.
To determine if it is the current file scroll down to the [Detection rules: Update] section of the online.ini file and look at the date in that section. The date should read: Date=2009-02-18.

What firewall are you using? There was a similar case to yours that according to the user turned out to be a firewall issue. See:
Bad Checksum from all servers for months
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=42163

atomich
2009-02-26, 22:17
Hello, I found that other thread during my searches.

I am using the firewall included with BitDefender AV Plus V10. I have SB whitelisted and have disabled the firewall prior to trying to update and it has no postitive effect.

When I manually update the definitions, they no longer show up as available after checking for updates; whereas, updating the Immunizations data base and English Descriptions manually did not result in them being cleared form the list.

I don't mind manually updating for a while, but is the immunization update always going to be at the same link?
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/clsid.zip

Eventually, I would like to correct the problem though.

Can anyone recommend a good registry cleaner?

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-26, 23:34
atomich:

… Eventually, I would like to correct the problem though.
I assume that you would, but you didn't indicate if you were actually getting an updated spybotsd.ini control file (online.ini file) so I don't know how I can assist further in resolving your problem.

… Can anyone recommend a good registry cleaner?
Registry cleaners are not recommended. See:
Registry Cleaners, not recommended
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038

atomich
2009-02-27, 00:02
Hello:

Yes, the online.ini file reads yesterday's date for the "Detection rules: Update" section, but that is no surprise because it appears to have no problem updating manually for the detections. I updated manually earlier today.

[Detection rules: Update]
Info=!Most up-to-date detections (2 MB)
MinBuild=20050523
Date=2009-02-25
Importance=Hoch
URL=http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/includes.zip
LocalFile=includes.zip
DestinationFolder=Includes\
Checksum=0F79A296505DDB31A33C9FAB3BB169B3
Mirrors=affidelNET (USA)","BN FileForum (Global)","Computer-Woerterbuch.de (Germany)","Evertje Networks (Europe)","FastSpeedTest.com (USA)","FirstNetServ (France)","FreewareArchiv (Germany)","Gigenet (USA)","Grail It (USA)","Kushari.org (Canada)","lfwd.org (USA)","Netzwelt.de (Germany)","NocturnalSynergy.com (USA)","prosoftco.net (USA)","Safer-Networking #2 (Europe)","Safer-Networking #3 (Europe)","Safer-Networking #4 (France)","SecurityWonks.net #1 (USA)","SecurityWonks.net #2 (USA)","SecurityWonks.net #3 (Global)","See-Cure #2 (Europe)","TDS (USA)","TU Braunschweig (Europe)","XTeq (Germany)
Filesize=2134504

The Immunizations, I am not so sure.

Here is what it says in their section:

[Immunization database]
Info=!Updated Immunization database (546 KB)
MinBuild=20050523
Date=2008-11-05
Importance=Hoch
URL=http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/clsid.zip
LocalFile=clsid.zip
DestinationFolder=Includes\
Checksum=FAFD80BE8F24D5159CE6D8A611BB25C9
Actions=immunize
Filesize=559133

What about using SB's System Internals to fix registry problems? Is it trustworthy enough to use? Below is what it finds:

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.6.2 (build: 20090126) ---

2009-01-26 blindman.exe (1.0.0.8)
2009-01-26 SDFiles.exe (1.6.1.7)
2009-01-26 SDMain.exe (1.0.0.6)
2009-01-26 SDShred.exe (1.0.2.5)
2009-01-26 SDUpdate.exe (1.6.0.12)
2009-01-26 SpybotSD.exe (1.6.2.46)
2009-01-26 TeaTimer.exe (1.6.4.26)
2009-02-20 unins000.exe (51.49.0.0)
2009-01-26 Update.exe (1.6.0.7)
2009-01-26 advcheck.dll (1.6.2.15)
2007-04-02 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
2008-06-14 DelZip179.dll (1.79.11.1)
2009-01-26 SDHelper.dll (1.6.2.14)
2008-06-19 sqlite3.dll
2009-01-26 Tools.dll (2.1.6.10)
2009-01-16 UninsSrv.dll (1.0.0.0)
2009-01-22 Includes\Adware.sbi
2009-01-22 Includes\AdwareC.sbi
2009-01-22 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2009-01-06 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2009-01-22 Includes\DialerC.sbi
2009-01-22 Includes\HeavyDuty.sbi
2009-02-10 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2009-02-10 Includes\HijackersC.sbi
2008-12-09 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2009-02-17 Includes\KeyloggersC.sbi
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi
2009-02-24 Includes\Malware.sbi
2009-02-24 Includes\MalwareC.sbi
2008-12-16 Includes\PUPS.sbi
2009-02-24 Includes\PUPSC.sbi
2009-01-22 Includes\Revision.sbi
2009-01-13 Includes\Security.sbi
2009-02-10 Includes\SecurityC.sbi
2008-06-03 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2008-06-03 Includes\SpybotsC.sbi
2009-01-28 Includes\Spyware.sbi
2009-01-28 Includes\SpywareC.sbi
2008-06-03 Includes\Tracks.uti
2009-02-24 Includes\Trojans.sbi
2009-02-24 Includes\TrojansC.sbi
2008-03-04 Plugins\Chai.dll
2008-03-05 Plugins\Fennel.dll
2008-02-26 Plugins\Mate.dll
2007-12-24 Plugins\renamedTCPIPAddress.dll
2007-12-24 Plugins\TCPIPAddress.dll

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\32bit Internet Fax
Filename: "d:\32bifax\install.exe" UnInstall
Data:

Category: Wrong app path
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\D:
Filename: D:
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\CNSLMAIN.EXE
Filename: D:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenuCNSLMAIN.exe
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Monopoly2000.Exe
Filename: D:\Program Files\Hasbro Interactive\Monopoly\Monopoly2000.Exe
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\install.exe
Filename: D:\Program Files\pocket PhoneTools\Install.exe
Data:

Category: Missing shared DLL
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\as2urldb.dat
Filename: D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\as2urldb.dat
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\asemlnn.mdl
Filename: D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\asemlnn.mdl
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\asnndata.dat
Filename: D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\asnndata.dat
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\aswfconf.dat
Filename: D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\aswfconf.dat
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\aswfwords.dat
Filename: D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\aswfwords.dat
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\emlrules.xml
Filename: D:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\emlrules.xml
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpyi64.exe
Filename: D:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpyi64.exe
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\WINDOWS\system32\pxinsi64.exe
Filename: D:\WINDOWS\system32\pxinsi64.exe
Data:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\D:\WINDOWS\system32\pxwma.dll
Filename: D:\WINDOWS\system32\pxwma.dll
Data: