PDA

View Full Version : So is anyone else having this problem?

Biskizit
2009-02-21, 21:09
For the passed few days now, I've been trying to get to Spybot's website. I have this wicked virus on my computer that continues to redirect my web pages and every single time I try to get there- it sais that there's a problem. Is their server down? Or is this the virus not letting me through? I know I read a topic a little while ago about the server being bogged down- but I figured that would just make it slow-- not dead. Is anyone else seeing this issue too? Or is it my virus?

drragostea
2009-02-21, 21:26
It sounds more like a malware infection that's blocking your visit to security sites. It's not because of a server problem (unlikely).

Biskizit
2009-02-21, 21:34
I was hoping it wasn't that. Does anyone have any suggestions on as how to bypass something like this?

drragostea
2009-02-21, 21:49
It would be literally purging the malware from your machine.

Biskizit
2009-02-21, 23:34
So- just wipe everything off my computer and redo it then? Wow, I really wish there was another way. I just got everything I wanted installed onto this.

tashi
2009-02-22, 01:46
Hi Biskizit,

It would be literally purging the malware from your machine.

So- just wipe everything off my computer and redo it then?

It is not often one has to reformat, certainly not before someone has taken a look at the system and advised you. :)

For someone to do that, please see "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Can you produce a HJT log as shown in that link? If so, start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where an analyst will help you when available.

Cheers.

drragostea
2009-02-22, 02:25
I don't usually add on, but I just wanted to say it was my fault for the wording. I mean removing the malware, not reformat (if that's how you saw it).

spodog
2009-02-22, 04:49
I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, but I have just become infected with some program that is masquerading as SPYBOT S&D.

On my XP system, it has installed an icon in the lower left corner (where the MS Apps reside) of the system tray, and has somehow disabled my real Spybot. A real pain, not sure how to purge it yet.

drragostea
2009-02-22, 05:27
What does the icon say when you hover over it in the taskbar? Can you explain how the real Spybot-Search&Destroy was "disabled"? And any idea how you got infected with the fake one? It is usually accidentally installed by the user (that's my guess).

tashi
2009-02-22, 05:29
Hello spodog,

Please see the links I gave Biskizit, after responding to drragostea. ;)

Then if you do indeed have a fake Spybot-S&D start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) after following instructions here: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Best regards.

casper840
2009-02-28, 16:51
Hi, I had an identical problem to Biskizit last weekend,my Norton network protection suite froze, and I couldn't run or update Spybot, or download Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal tool, plus every time I clicked on a link in google I was directed to the Msn startup page.
I found the reason on another forum, I was infected with a DNSchanger trojan, and luckily there was also a solution, download AVG. This not only cured my immediate problem but discovered quite a few other nasties in my system.
I had to uninstall Norton before I could run AVG, but it was no loss as it hadn't protected me.
After AVG had done its stuff ,I was able to use the Microsoft tool which found things AVG had missed , I then found Spybot was able to run ,updated it and amazingly after all the previous scans, it also found malware in my system.
One good thing, I sent Norton an e-mail, expressing my disapointment in their product and they gave me a full refund!