PDA

View Full Version : avast doesn't seem to like Spybot running on my machine

theenigma
2009-02-27, 19:03
Hi there,

I have been reading the forums for the last few months and decided to make myself known by asking for some help in my first post! :D:

I really like using Spybot and have even downloaded the Testing Console to help out the team but I have started noticing a weird issue when I start up Spybot and avast antivirus.

I use avast free edition, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster on my XP SP3 system (all up to date, using Firefox as I type this) and have started to notice that avast will not open when I have Spybot open. To be more specific, avast will get through its “memory test” and Spybot will load at the same time but as soon as Spybot is up and running (latest version 1.6.2.46) avast refuses to open until I close Spybot. Once closed, avast will appear and I am able to use the program as normal.

If I open avast first then open Spybot there is no problem but if I do it the other way avast doesn’t open at all. I have tried to “start” it again from the programs menu but to no avail.

To me this looks like a similar instance of the methods being used by other AV companies to get people to uninstall Spybot.

Now I might be completely wrong here but I can't see why avast doesn’t like Spybot, even if I skip the “memory test” at the beginning it won’t run at all until Spybot is closed…

If there is a workaround to this then I would be happy to give it a try but I really wanted to bring this to the attention of others to see if I am the only one experiencing this issue (I tried a search but couldn’t find any relevant posts)

Look forward to the replies,

Cheers,

Harv :bigthumb:

Matt
2009-02-27, 19:09
Hi theenigma,

why do you need to open Spybot and Avast at the same time? :)

Best regards,
-Matt-

theenigma
2009-02-27, 19:21
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I mainly open both Spybot and avast when I check for updates, though occasionally I open both when I set them to scan at the same time.
I know scanning with different programs at the same time can cause problems but I have never experienced this issue until recently and thought it would be worth getting in touch.

Normally I set both to scan at the same time on a Saturday morning before having breakfast. By the time I come back both scans are normally complete (standard Spybot scan and "Normal / Quick" on avast).

Hope this is useful,

Cheers,

Matt
2009-02-27, 19:30
I know scanning with different programs at the same time can cause problems

So why do you open both if you already know that it can cause problems? ;)

I use Avira Anti-Vir and can open it at the same time like Spybot. There's no problem.
I recommend to scan with avast and after that with Spybot. ;)

Normally I set both to scan at the same time on a Saturday morning before having breakfast.

Almost everybody would tell you, not to run two security tools at the same time. ;)

Which other security tools do you use?

If you have questions, please feel free to answer. :)

Best regards,
-Matt-

noel-pr7
2009-02-27, 21:38
Almost everybody would tell you, not to run two security tools at the same time. ;)

yeah. doing this can cause the computer to freeze or lock up (or worse cause program crashes between each other or blue screen errors with the OS), forcing you to reboot the computer and clear things up. believe me, I know. I've had some experience with this a few times.

drragostea
2009-02-28, 00:45
To me this looks like a similar instance of the methods being used by other AV companies to get people to uninstall Spybot.
Lol, avast! is a good guy, so don't worry. I don't have a clue what may be happening right now, but I'm sure this problem won't happen if they are not fired up simultaneously. I haven't tried your method of scanning, but avast! and Spybot-SD sit together with no problems.

In addition to possible lockups and crashes, scanning won't be that much faster when two are running at the same time. In fact it could be slower (and a drain in system resources).

theenigma
2009-02-28, 11:25
Hi there folks,

Many thanks for the replies, must admit I have never had this many replies in so short a time on any other forum! :2thumb:

Just to pick up on a few points,

Matt:
The only other security software is use is CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag and JKDefrag. I connect to the web via a firewalled router (Netgear) so I don’t use that much else in the way of security software.

Noel-pr7:
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I must admit this hasn’t happened to me yet but I have learned my lesson with running other software (not security related) together in the past. I just guess I got into a routine with the scanning! :oops:
Drragostea:
Thanks for the info about avast!, I have been happily using the program for many years since I switched from AVG and have had no other issues like this.
Having read a few of the “horror” stories about the other companies’ underhand ways of getting users to uninstall Spybot, avast does seem like one of the last few bastions of safe, honest and straightforward protection.

I will have to monitor this situation to see how things progress as I still find it odd that avast won’t completely start up until Spybot is closed… it doesn’t make sense to me even if I'm just checking both for updates (where there shouldn’t be any conflict)

Again thanks for the replies, its great to know that there is this amount of support for new forum users. I hope that one day I can be in the same position to help others here!

Cheers,

Matt
2009-02-28, 12:02
Hi theenigma,

which Firewall do you use?

Best regards,
-Matt-

theenigma
2009-02-28, 13:20
Hi Matt,

At the moment I am using the hardware firewall that is part of the Netgear router. I also use the avast On-Access scanner although I know that in itself is not a firewall.

I used to use Windows Firewall but I found it caused quite a lot of slowdown and wasn't necessary, before that I used Kerio Firewall before it was bought out by Sun Microsystems and before that I used ZoneAlarm.

Quite an eclectic journey really! May I ask if you use a software / hardware firewall yourself?

Cheers,

Matt
2009-02-28, 16:57
Hi theenigma,

I use a hardware and a software firewall. But I will switch soon to another software firewall...

I recommend you to use a software firewall too. But it's your decision in the end... :wink:

Best regards,
-Matt-

drragostea
2009-02-28, 20:20
I wouldn't say Windows Firewall "suck", but it certainly does not have the upper edge like third-party firewalls. ZoneAlarm and Comodo Pro Firewall are two robust firewalls. Besides software firewall, hardware firewalls are pretty decent.

I'm sorry but I don't have the slightest clue on why this is occurring. But I can promise that avast! is not like Norton, etc. :fear:

A small solution would be to run each scan one at a time, to prevent lockups or freezes (just take that time to do it). When I run a full avast! scan it takes around 20 secs just to open Mozilla Firefox (tells you that avast! is taking control on the RAM, lol).

ChalupaPatrol
2009-03-01, 18:59
I use avast free edition, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster on my XP SP3 system (all up to date, using Firefox as I type this) and have started to notice that avast will not open when I have Spybot open.
FWIW, if I have Spybot open, avast!'s On-Access Protection Control will open, and the Memory test will start and run to completion, but the Simple user interface and console will not open for me. I am not advocating scanning with both programs at the same time. I'm simply giving you feed back on what will and will not open on my machines. :)

2009-03-01, 19:46
about 3 years ago. I was told the exact same thing that you were told theenigma by the avast forums.

Apparently, according to them, avast mem process chokes when spybots process is actively running. After spybot closes however, its process closes and then the simple interface process is able to get itself back together and then pops up. What i did to get around it is to do the following:

I told spybot to wait one minute after starting the program before it launches the entire spybot program. You can find this option in settings. I then launch avast and avast is able to come up with the simple user interface. Then the minute completes and spybot displays. All is well, as long as you ether do what i did, or tell avast to startup first. :)

And while i agree with what matt says, not to run 2 security tools at the same time; I only think that applies with running 2 antispyware(s) at the same time. Running an antivirus and a spyware scanner at the same time is fine to me, because they are looking for different things. Besides, if one did flag the other i would be able to tell and wouldn't worry.

However; avast has now integrated antispyware into there program, which is very nice; but of course now this means it is not recommended to run both avast and spybot at the same time. (But if your a knowledgeable user, i see no problem with it; as when they detect a threat you know what your looking at.)

Anyway, to put it simply, it is odd, its just one of those memory usage things. Sometimes processes conflict. Luckily, in this case its not as bad that the other process is terminated. ;)

Ps: avast link (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28803.msg235647#msg235647) to where i asked about this. This is when i was younger and did not know as much as i do now. ;)

theenigma
2009-03-02, 09:19
HI there folks,

Thanks for the replies, again it is much appreciated, thank you for continuing to help me out with this issue.

Drragostea:

I agree with you on the points made, I found that my system would take forever to start with a software firewall (especially Windows’ version) and even then I would have to customise the heck out of it to let me play online games and the like. Either way I am happy with how my system runs, I might have another look at a software firewall when I next upgrade my net connection.

Indeed i to had troubles with Norton, I once had some serious problems with their internet security suite and vowed never to go back after it slowed my system to a crawl! :devil:

ChalupaPatrol:

That’s the same for me; it’s the Simple User Interface that seems to cause the issue as it just won’t show up unless I close Spybot. Thanks for your input it’s good to know how each other’s systems handle these programs.

129260:

That was going to be my next port of call, I was just about to type up a similar post when you replied here and saved my fingers!

I like the idea about delaying the start of Spybot, just to confirm the setting that needs to be switched is under “Program Start” and then “Wait a few minutes until starting the check”?

I have just tried it out and it doesn’t seem to be working for me all that well, as avast still doesn’t seem to want to show up even after the minute is up for Spybot.

As a last attempt to save my sanity I tried unchecking the “Test memory during application start up” in avast and… wow! It works! I can click both avast and Spybot icons and they both start within seconds! No delays whatsoever and avast seems to finish loading up before Spybot now.

Even now as I type this I have just loaded up Spybot and let it idle for a few minutes then loaded up avast and straight to the Simple UI without any problems. :laugh:

Perhaps the issue is something to do with the memory test… maybe it isn’t getting enough resources to finish (though I can't understand why as I have 4gb of RAM [3.5 accessible] and not much else running).

I will monitor how this goes and try a few more different combinations of starting both programs.

Cheers,