PDA

View Full Version : Immunization

Redkola
2009-02-27, 22:05
Have recently downloaded V1.6.2.46 but am having some problems with the immunization.

PC has XP and service pack 3 along with Norton, SpywareDr & Ad-Aware. When immunizing, Spybot is picking up all the users (there are 2 on this PC) but is not picking up Cookies, Domians, IPs & Secure Domains under
S-1-5-21-3164340603-404446230-1488558-1009. This is leaving 21192 unprotected.

I have full admin rights under my sign so not sure why these are not being picked up.

Grateful for any hints as to the reason.

Thanks

Redkola

md usa spybot fan
2009-02-27, 23:20
Redkola:

Try disabling any real-time (monitoring) features in Ad-Aware and try to immunize again.

Please post the results of what happens.

Redkola
2009-02-28, 19:53
Thanks for replying.

Version of Ad-Aware is free so there is no real time protection. I've re-immunized and am still getting the same results.

Redkola

Matt
2009-02-28, 20:02
Hi Redkola,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums.

Version of Ad-Aware is free so there is no real time protection.

That isn't 100% true, because Ad-Aware AE has a kind of real-time protection, which is called Ad-Watch Live!. :grandpa:

I've also installed Ad-Aware here on my computer. Moreover, I've dis-abled Ad-Watch Live! and immunization works for me. Can you check this please? ;)

Best regards,
-Matt-

1eyedjack
2009-02-28, 21:57
Sorry to jump in but I have the same problem. 160 entries in the section headed Windows - Global(Hosts) which will not immunize. I use Avast, Webroot Security suite, Spybot S&D and Ad-aware AE, running under Vista premium. Possibly overkill but I am infected anyway :mad:
Anyway, I disabled ad-watch, and disabled the Webroot software, making sure that I was not connected to the net. I left Avast running, then ran Spybot Immunize and it still leaves those 160 unprotected. I have 2 user accounts on the machine, one with admin rights and one with standard rights. I have tried both accounts, elevated to admin rights on the standard account, and neither solves it.

So I am following this thread with interest. If that is bad etiquette and I should start my own thread then apologies - just tell me off and I will do it.

Matt
2009-02-28, 22:01
Hi 1eyedjack,

if you are infected, please read the therad "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288) from tashi carefully and follow the instructions.
After that, you can open your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22), where somebody will have a look a your system.

Best regards,
-Matt-

1eyedjack
2009-03-01, 11:11
Hi Matt

Yes, I did that and posted it here a day or so earlier
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=293751

Only I am not convinced that the two issues are related.

Matt
2009-03-01, 14:36
Hi Matt

Yes, I did that and posted it here a day or so earlier
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=293751

Only I am not convinced that the two issues are related.

Hi 1eyedjack,

I see a Malware infection or at least some leavings of an Malware infection when looking over your Hijackthis-logfile.

Someone will soon help you there. Watch this thread you've opened.

Ad-Aware makes some trouble regarding Spybot's immunization, altough, I've installed Ad-Aware here too (Ad-Watch Live! dis-abled) and it works fine fore me. :)

Moreover, please make sure, that you don't use two Anti-Virus tools at the same computer. Otherwise, you can get big problems.

Best regards,
-Matt-

Redkola
2009-03-01, 20:17
Hi Matt

Thanks for replying. I'm still using the free version of Ad-Aware 2008. I've not downloaded the Anniversary Edition as i've heard a number of horror stories.

Anyway, the free version has no real time protection ie Ad-Watch. I'd need to upgrade to the Plus or Pro version to run those features.

I did another immunization and i'm still getting 21129 unprotected as before.

Redkola

Matt
2009-03-01, 20:47
Hi Redkola,

Dis-able real-time protection from Norton and SpywareDr. and then try it again. Does this help you?

Can you show us a screenshot?

Best regards,
-Matt-

NiveusLuna
2009-03-02, 00:56
I'm kind of interested in this as well. I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (yes it forces the uninstallation of spybot, but when you're used to reinstalling operating systems because they keep breaking, reinstalling one application isn't a big deal), ad-aware ae, and windows defender. realtime is disabled in the latter two, and I was having the trouble before I installed ad-aware and before I turned on defender at all.

I tried disabling KIS's protection, but that didn't help.

I have two admin accounts (one is in case I royally screw up my main, done it before on XP and have taken precautions since) and one limited account (because my mother barely knows how to use MS office and I don't trust her to tell the difference between malware and real stuff). All are password protected. My main admin account started out as limited, but I got tired of having to put in an admin password every time I wanted to do something and having to run xfire as a different user to monitor my games is a pain.

I deleted the original admin account (this is when the problem started) after turning this one into admin, then made a second admin account as backup. My reasoning is simple: I'm too lazy to copy the home folder and application data to the other user.

Each user can see their own immunization locations, but none of the others. This is true for both admin accounts and the regular limited account.

Operating system is Vista Home Premium, SP1, 32-bit. UAC is enabled. disabling it doesn't change the symptoms. If you guys want any more information I'll be happy to provide it.

Redkola
2009-03-02, 21:55
Hi Matt

Tried disabling the real-time protection for SpywareDr and Norton and then re-imunised as suggested. Didn't make any difference. I'll try and post a screenshot.

Regards

Redkola