PDA

View Full Version : Functionality issue - cant fix problems after start-up scan

random_name
2009-03-03, 12:42
There is an instance of MyWebSearch on my friends computer - Spybot suggested that I do a scan upon start up as it couldn't remove it during the initial scan. After completing the start up scan it displays that there were 4 problems found, but there is no option to fix the selected problems.

spybotsandra
2009-03-03, 12:45
Hello,

It seems that there are subfolders that are not being detected and therefore the main folders can't be deleted.
Please have a look at your folders and see which file paths you have left on your system. These could be the folders:

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\
C:\Program Files\AskTBar

Delete those folders and its whole content.

Please do also delete the follwing registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AskTBar

Open the registry editor by:
(a)
press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
or
(b)
click on "start" , then "run" and enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)

(a+b)
and then browse to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AskTBar

This link in our forum should also help removing MyWebSearch: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=40394

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

random_name
2009-03-03, 16:24
Thanks for getting back to me.

I had previously uninstalled MYWebSearch, and there are no relevant directories left on the system.

There was no registry entry for "AskTBar". There was for MyWebSearch and FunWebProducts - I am unable to delete these though. I cannot delete the registery entries using JV16 either.

I have also tried Malawarebytes and SAS with no luck either (also in safe mode).

random_name
2009-03-03, 16:56
That was a premature post - Malawarebytes *has* removed all occurences of MyWebSearch and FunWebProducts from the registry. The computer is still running slowly, so I guess the problem may lay elsewhere.