PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer auto approving everything

southdave
2009-03-05, 12:21
Hi Guys,

To get around the multiple prompts i was getting from teatimer in response to the Spybot auto scan overnight adding autorun entries to remove old files at boot time i selected the remember this setting option.

However, now i got no prompts at all from teatimer. No AutoRun prompt. Not even a prompt when i change my IE start page. The log just shows entries like below:

05/03/2009 03:43:59 Allowed (based on user decision) value "SpybotDeletingA5945" (new data: "command.com /c del "C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt"") added in System Startup global entry!
05/03/2009 11:18:17 Allowed (based on user decision) value "Start Page" (new data: "about:blank") changed in Browser page!

I checked the teatimer settings and there are no entries in the allow/blocked for processes or registry.

Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Dave

spybotsandra
2009-03-05, 12:34
Hello,

Probably you have installed the new TeaTimer Beta version that was available with on of the latest updates. This TeaTimer version only displays the bad registry changes.
You will find it also in our forum for download: http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=42 and discussion: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=44772

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

PepiMK
2009-03-05, 14:27
Also on our news:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2009-02-25.html

But: you'll find a new "Paranoid mode" switch in its tray icons context menu that will give you the old behaviour :)

southdave
2009-03-05, 14:55
Hi Peppi,

thanks for your reply. I installed the latest beta (1.6.6.32) because it mentioned the paranoid mode but i dont get it on my context menu.

Is there a magic handshake i need to use to make it appear, or is there a reg key that would also do it that i can create.

Cheers for your help.

Dave

Matt
2009-03-05, 17:42
Hi southdave,

reboot your computer and you will get it. ;)

Best regards,
-Matt-

southdave
2009-03-05, 18:11
reboot your computer and you will get it. ;)

Unfortunately i have tried that twice already thinking it may have been something that needed to be registered, but still no option :-(

Dave

Matt
2009-03-05, 19:12
Hi southdave,

sorry :oops: ... now I'm confused. :blink:

When you right-click on the TeaTimer icon, then you can't see the entry "paranoid mode" ??

Best regards,
-Matt-

southdave
2009-03-05, 19:15
nope :-(

i installed it by just coping the new teatimer.exe from the zip posted in the download area, then restarted teatimer.exe.

Is this enough to get it going?

Dave

Matt
2009-03-05, 19:28
Hi southdave,

right-click TeaTimer icon, choose "About". Which version is shown?

Best regards,
-Matt-

southdave
2009-03-05, 19:35
it comes back with

version 1.6.2

system settings protector 1.6.6.32

Matt
2009-03-05, 19:37
Hi southdave,

Are you sure, you followed theese instructions:

A test version of TeaTimer only. To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\). Make sure to close TeaTimer first if it is running (see Task Manager), and allow to overwrite system files (in case of doubt, make hidden files visible and delete old TeaTimer.exe first)

Best regards,
-Matt-

southdave
2009-03-06, 11:05
Hi Matt,

i did exactly that. I also confirmed the file version (1.6.6.32) from the file properties version dialog box.

Dave

southdave
2009-03-09, 17:51
mmm this gets odder by the minute.

I noticed that on my second PC it was working exactly as we wanted and the only difference between them was that i uninstalled and reinstalled to get the whole of spyot up to 1.6.2 as it didnt do it automatically. Whereas on my machine where it didnt work i just installed 1.6.2 on top of what i had.

I have just uninstalled the whole of Spybot on the broke machine and then reinstalled it and it is all working as expected now.

I dont know if the installer sets something particular on a clean install rather than an upgrade but it does seem todo something different.

Thanks to all that helped.

Cheers
Dave