PDA

View Full Version : immunization and vista home premium

lisar
2009-03-05, 23:35
Hello,

I am running windows vista home premium and when I installed the newest version of spybot on this new pc and while running as administrator it will only immunize the items under firefox, 4 different sections in the Internet Explorer (32/64bit) section.

None of the items in internet explorer (32bit), the first 4 items in the internet explorer (32/64bit), all of the items in the internet explorer (64bit) as well as the Windows - global hosts are not being immunized.

I had not problem with this on my windows xp pro with sp2 desktop but on this laptop running vista home premium sp1 will not completely immunize everything even though I choose the option to run as administrator.

Any ideas as to why this is happing?

Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2009-03-06, 04:43
lisar:

Are you running Spybot with elevated administrator rights?

See:
How can I get Administrator rights under Windows Vista? (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html)
How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708)

lisar
2009-03-06, 17:53
Hello,
I right click on the program and select to Run As Administrator.
is that what you mean by elevated administrator rights?

Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2009-03-06, 22:29
lisar:

... I right click on the program and select to Run As Administrator.
is that what you mean by elevated administrator rights? ...
Yes it is.

Since you are running Spybot under Windows Vista with elevated administrator rights, check out other possibilities for the immunization failures in this thread:
Various reasons for incomplete immunization
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272

lisar
2009-03-06, 23:32
Well, I don't see anything listed as dialogs in the settings window (Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 will offer you to run the Immunization elevated if you do not run it as described above. If you have chosen to not have this dialog shown again when it was previously shown, you can re-enable it by using the Dialogs tab of the Settings window. See this screenshot. )

I am not running zone alarm, avg, CA software or stopzilla and I am running the same version of firefox on both pcs, and the immunization problem is only with the vista pc.

I have also tried the step : If you must run a program as an administrator, you may want to set up the program so that you automatically run it as an administrator. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the icon that you use to run the program, and then click Properties.
2. On the Compatibility tab, click to select the Run this program as an administrator check box, and then click OK.

Still no luck.

The only other thing that I can think of is that perhaps I need to uninstall the program, download it again, the right click the download and try installing it as the administrator. Do you think that might solve the problem?

md usa spybot fan
2009-03-07, 07:03
Possibly, but not running the installation program with elevated administrator rights doesn't normally affect immunization after the installation.

In the past the only problem that I am aware of that was caused by not running the installation program with elevated administrator rights was that program SDWinSec.exe that adds Spybot to the Windows Security Center for monitoring would fail with a "CreateProcess failed; Code 740".

lisar
2009-03-07, 16:19
So uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it won't fix the problem? Could it hurt to try?

Thanks

drragostea
2009-03-07, 18:22
It won't hurt to try.

lisar
2009-03-07, 21:38
Well, that solved the problem! I uninstalled the software using the uninstall option and then downloaded the software again and installed in by right clicking to Run As Administrator and this time there are no problems.

Thanks for the help!