PDA

View Full Version : Spybot S&D and XFIRE mortal enemies.

junior301
2009-03-06, 03:01
I use a program called xfire. recently that program updated its software and I haven't been able to log on since. well I posted on there tech forums for help and they told me that Spybot S&D was causing xfire from not being able to access the net. Now I have used spybot for probably 6 years now and had no trouble. so I am just trying to figure out if spybot can do this and if so how can I make an exception for xfire? thanks in advance for your help

drragostea
2009-03-06, 04:26
Do you have a link to the thread (I'm just curious :laugh:).
And welcome to the forums.
-
I don't recall Spybot having any incompatibilities with this software. If you wish, try uninstalling Spybot and see if you can log on. A simple trial and error method.

Best regards.

junior301
2009-03-06, 05:36
Actually yes I do. Its actually quite funny the mod says that spybot is known to cause this don't really see how though.

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=219006

Unfortunatley I did uninstall spybot and try it. still no luck.

junior301
2009-03-06, 20:09
OK well I have effectively eliminated spybot as the culprit (not that big of a suprise to me.) Mozilla Firefox auto updated today and is now no longer able to connect to the net either. Thanks for the help.

drragostea
2009-03-07, 04:14
What did you try? Based on your post, we don't know.

Did you add an exception for Xfire in your Spybot S&D settings?
Funny because I doubt this user had ever used Spybot-Search&Destroy before.
One he did not really specify what "settings" (vague) and he just assumes you know Spybot from top to bottom.

It appears that you're no longer running Spybot S&D based on the new screenshots you provided. Turning Spybot S&D off is not what we suggested.

Did you simply turn Spybot S&D off?
And two it seems that he was wrong about accusing Spybot.
Spybot does not really "run" in the background (the program itself) because itself is the spyware scanner. It is only "Teatimer" that runs in the background because it is active. (Hm, my guess is that even if you have Teatimer on, I doubt it is the culprit because simply TeaTimer will not touch your Internet connection).

If Firefox cannot access the Internet, can MS IE access it? Google[.com] doesn't work?

We can dig further and try to diagnose problem if you want and see what is causing the problems (I'll try my best), if you wish, just need your okay.