PDA

View Full Version : Help Plz, Spybot takes 6+ hours to run :(

mrsmarti
2009-03-07, 15:06
I installed Spybot on my friend’s computer 13 months ago. She has a Dell PC that is 3 years old with XP Home on it. Her computer has some complete Norton/Symantec virus program on it. (I’ve asked her to change to AVG when it is renewal time). She empties cookies and Temp Internet files and runs CCleaner each week. She defragmented 2 months ago. Norton doesn’t let her set a restore point.

For the last ½ year Spybot has been taking around 6+ hours to scan her computer.
Prior to that I think she said it took 45-70 minutes to do the job.
On my computer scanning takes 10 minutes +/-.
I’m new to the forum and am NOT a computer wiz. My 60 yr. old friend has zip computer knowledge and relies on me- YIKES!

What information do I need to provide this forum so I can get some 'help' ideas and then go to her house and try to resolve this?
Mrs. Marti J. :)

djpailo
2009-03-07, 15:08
There is no way it should take that long. It's probably an infected machine, so go to the malware removal forums and post a hijack this logfile.

mrsmarti
2009-03-07, 16:32
I read some of the sticky posts in Malware, mentioning HijackThis and system restore stuff. My friend's Symantec product doesn't allow system restore, so I'm guessing I'd have to disable it.
But would I do that before or after I created a Hijack This log?
I won't get to her house for a couple days.

Matt
2009-03-07, 17:00
Hi mrsmarti,

Save a hijackthis-log and add it with your first post in the Malware Removal Forum.

Please follow carefully all instructions.

Best regards,
-Matt-

tashi
2009-03-12, 07:22
Hello mrsmarti,

I read some of the sticky posts in Malware, mentioning HijackThis and system restore stuff. My friend's Symantec product doesn't allow system restore, so I'm guessing I'd have to disable it.

Best not to disable your friend's anti virus program :fear: someone will guide you as soon as available. :)

Malware forum topic: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=46626

Cheers