PDA

View Full Version : Existing file is marked as Read-Only

JimmieC
2009-03-08, 17:01
When attempting to download "Main update" it will not allow me past the additional files section. I receive the following message: C:\ProgramsFile\Spybot-Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll.
The existing file is marked as read only.
Click Retry to remove the read only attribute and Retry.
It will not accept Retry.
Reverts back to choices: Retry/Abort/Ignore.
Will someone please help me with this problem?
Thanks, Jim.

Matt
2009-03-08, 17:02
Hi JimmieC,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. :)

Are you talking about an upgrade vom Spybot 1.6.0.30 to 1.6.2.46 ?

JimmieC
2009-03-08, 17:09
Yes! That is what I am trying to do.

Matt
2009-03-08, 17:11
Hi JimmieC,

I've the following recommendation for you:

Un-install Spybot completely (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html) from your computer.
Reboot your computer
Install Spybot 1.6.2.46

Theese files are protected from Spybot against Malware/change.

JimmieC
2009-03-08, 18:33
Thanks for your assistance. I tried to uninstall from the start menu, no luck. I went to the Control Panel, no luck. I attempted to delete the folder, no luck. I receive various errors, Runtime Error (at-1.0): Cannot import Dll:C:\ProgramsFile\Spybot-Search & Destroy\UninsSrv.dll. Also, Destination folder access denied, permission needed. Thanks,

Matt
2009-03-08, 19:10
Hi JimmieC,

I would like you to read this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=46036).

Did you already try to un-install Spybot in safe mode?

Moreover, please try to install Spybot again (try "ignore" or "retry"), and then un-install it.

I've never had such problems, because I always un-install the old version before installing the new one. :sad:

JimmieC
2009-03-08, 22:19
I read the thread.
Tried to uninstall via safe mode, no luck. "Runtime Error (at-1.0)."
Attempted the "ignore/retry" choices again, no good.
Still not able to uninstall! Thanks,

Astralfactor
2009-03-09, 11:27
I had this problem with 3 installations of the latest version even after uninstalling the previous version. I get three files marked as "read only". I did discover that "retry, removing the read-only attribute" worked but only after a few attempts!

JimmieC
2009-03-09, 11:40
I would like to be able to uninstall the version I now have installed. Then maybe I can install the current version.

PepiMK
2009-03-09, 12:56
You may additionally have to make sure that TeaTimer is closed, since it might be using this DLL as well.

JimmieC
2009-03-09, 13:34
TeaTimer is closed, and I am still not able to uninstall Spybot 1.6.0.30.

Matt
2009-03-09, 15:57
Hi JimmieC,

did you reboot your computer after you have disabled TeaTimer ? Please disable SDHelper too.

Moreover, did you notice what Astralfactor said:

I did discover that "retry, removing the read-only attribute" worked but only after a few attempts!

This could help you. :)

JimmieC
2009-03-09, 16:16
Yes Matt I disabled TeaTimer & SDHelper and rebooted. I did read what Astralfactor offered. I had attempted various retrys to no avail. I eventually used "Revo Uninstaller" to try and improve upon my situation. From all appearances it worked. It (Revo) showed the same error (at - 1.0), but upon clicking OK it continued on and un-installed Spybot. Thanks, Jim.

Matt
2009-03-09, 19:21
Hi JimmieC,

thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you could un-install Spybot. :)

JimmieC
2009-03-09, 22:04
Your welcome Matt and I would like to thank all that offered help in this matter. Thanks again, Jim.

Matt
2009-03-09, 22:05
Your welcome Matt and I would like to thank all that offered help in this matter. Thanks again, Jim.
You're welcome. ;)

OcarinaMaker
2009-10-20, 14:04
Hi!
What I've been doing is navigating to the file, C:\Program Files\Spybot\advcheck.dll and right-clicking, "Properties", then unchecking the "Read Only" box, clicking "Apply", "OK", then clicking "Retry" on the Spybot install error. Seems to work.

Best regards, Barbara