PDA

View Full Version : immunize 'Safari' and 'Chrome'

hnyaji
2009-03-12, 19:26
Hi
How could I immunize 'Safari' and 'Chrome'?
thanks,
Hemanth

drragostea
2009-03-13, 03:27
It is not available yet, as they just do not have the "blocklist/blacklist (bad sites)" function like the way Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer has.

hnyaji
2009-03-16, 09:02
Hi
according to the following post, S&D supports every common browser.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/48.html
Chrome is included in this list, but Safari is left out!
Does S&D support the latter?

drragostea
2009-03-17, 01:01
You'll need PepiMK to comment further on this, as I do not know what the Immunization officially supports (I don't use even half those browsers listed).

Even if there is a blacklist option in Google Chrome, I can't seem to find it.

spybotsandra
2009-03-17, 10:30
Hello,

I am sorry, but Chrome is only being supported in scanning and fixing at the moment.
It is a very new browser and chrome itself does not offer any interface for immunizing yet.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Synetech
2009-03-28, 20:12
Chrome and Safari use the SafeBrowsing(Bloom) databases, however like themes, I don't think that it is documented for external modification yet.

ght1
2009-03-28, 20:15
'Chrome' is spyware, I wouldn't install it :sick:

drragostea
2009-03-28, 20:18
ance, I'm curious on why you say the browser Google Chrome is considered "spyware"?

Please explain :santa:.

ght1
2009-03-28, 21:20
Each Google’s new browser "Chrome" installation contains a unique ID that allowing identifying its user. This has raised a big wave of people that mistrust the new browser.

:yuck:

Synetech
2009-03-28, 22:00
'Chrome' is spyware, I wouldn't install it :sick:

I wouldn’t install it either, I would unzip it. ;)

Each Google’s new browser "Chrome" installation contains a unique ID that allowing identifying its user. This has raised a big wave of people that mistrust the new browser.

:yuck:

A big wave? That’s news to me, and I am a frequent tester/debugger.

What about Chromium? Is that bad too? They are open-source, so if you don’t trust it, take a look at the source and/or build it yourself. :rolleyes:

drragostea
2009-03-29, 04:50
ance, then what? Just because we can be identified from the crowd what does that make us? Is not a privacy issue is it? You may get negative comments but for the browser, but I'm sure it's not considered "spyware". Perhaps you can explain more about the "unique-id"? I'm a bit curious. :oreo:

Synetech, then what is the difference between 'Google Chrome' and 'Chromium'?

Synetech
2009-03-29, 05:13
Synetech, then what is the difference between 'Google Chrome' and 'Chromium'?

The icon and about box. :D:

As far as I can tell, Chrome includes the Google Updater (for which I don’t think the source is available), and Chrome is released less often because they have to review it more rigorously before announcing a release, whereas Chromium makes available nightlies (or to be more accurate, hourlies).

drragostea
2009-03-29, 05:15
Ah >_<. And I thought they were the same thing.
So I guess Chromium is the developer version of Google Chrome? So it's released a lot faster than Chrome. Is Chromium available to everyone?

Synetech
2009-03-29, 05:33
Chromium is the open-source browser based on WebKit that Google founded and is available to anyone. Chrome is the official Google brand browser built from Chromium. It’s sort of like Linux->BSD/Ubuntu/RedHat, etc. Linux is the open-source OS, while the different distros are specialty version of it (although the difference between Chrome and Chromium is very little right now.)

ght1
2009-03-29, 08:22
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Usage_tracking :boxing:

PepiMK
2009-03-29, 21:32
Chromium based binaries would be my recommendation as well. We created a small tool (http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=20) for the ID thing, but a custom build would attack the problem more at the root.<br>

384sprites
2009-05-20, 22:54
In this thread I read someone saying Chrome was spyware, because it had some built-in function that reports back user destinations... is that only if you have web history (or whatever the term is) turned on if you were to visit your Google settings (via http)... in my case I have it turned off (or I have not enabled web history).

And forgive my newbie question, as I read that Chrome is not yet supported by Spybot, does the team at Spybot ever plan on supporting it, and/or in the process of doing so?

Synetech
2009-05-20, 23:13
In this thread I read someone saying Chrome was spyware, because it had some built-in function that reports back user destinations... is that only if you have web history (or whatever the term is) turned on if you were to visit your Google settings (via http)... in my case I have it turned off (or I have not enabled web history).

From what I’ve read, what happens is that if you type something into the Omnibar of Chrome and press enter, it sends that string to Google which returns your search results. If you precede that string with a custom search keyword (which you can configure through Wrench->Options->Basics->Manage (Default Search), then it just opens the expected url with the search term. What I have yet to test is whether there is any difference between entering somthing and g something in the Omnibar. If the former case does anything extra than the latter, then there may be something to the rumors. If not, then it’s just doing a simple Google search. Either way, you can always just use Chromium.

And forgive my newbie question, as I read that Chrome is not yet supported by Spybot, does the team at Spybot ever plan on supporting it, and/or in the process of doing so?

Actually SpyBot does have Chrome immunizations as of a somewhat recent version (don’t know exactly which version).

ght1
2009-05-21, 10:45
With UnChrome (http://www.abelssoft.net/unchrome.php) you can remove the unique ID :bigthumb:

drragostea
2009-05-22, 01:53
Is it considered a privacy threat? Like having a database of users?

My PC froze when I executed UnChrome : [. :confused:

ght1
2009-05-22, 17:45
Is it considered a privacy threat? Like having a database of users?

:confused:

drragostea
2009-05-25, 04:21
The supposed "unique-id". Lol. :alien:

singingsister57
2014-04-23, 03:28
It is not available yet, as they just do not have the "blocklist/blacklist (bad sites)" function like the way Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer has.

I am a new forum member. I just joined to find out if I was doing something wrong when I run Spybot since it is only scanning Firefox and IE. If this is true that scanning is not available "yet" for Chrome, should I assume it never will be.I mean this post was in 2008. I would think if they were going to include Chrome, it would be by now, right? Thanks

Synetech
2014-04-26, 17:37
I am a new forum member. I just joined to find out if I was doing something wrong when I run Spybot since it is only scanning Firefox and IE. If this is true that scanning is not available "yet" for Chrome, should I assume it never will be.I mean this post was in 2008. I would think if they were going to include Chrome, it would be by now, right? Thanks

Maybe they just never got a chance to do the research to learn the specifications of how Chrome implements this feature. Fortunately, Chromium is open-source, so they certainly have access to that information (in fact, everybody does, and I doubt that they would be averse to getting a nudge from someone who knows—start with the Phishing and Malware Protection feature).