PDA

View Full Version : Can Spybot become corrupted? Please Help!

Larry Davis
2009-03-14, 21:38
Getting very frustrated because I do not have enough computer knowledge to get things working right again. I run Windows XP. Here's my problem ....... Back in January of this year my computer became infected with "Virtumonde". Nothing I had, Spybot, McAfee and Ad-Aware, would completely remove it. Read an article that said "SpyHunter" did a good job of getting rid of it, so I acquired this program and sure enough it removed all of Virtumonde. However, after that these strange things started happening: 1. SpyBot started running scans automatically at bootup. First time it did this it listed "SpyHunter" as malware and removed it WITHOUT my permission. 2. I could no longer open and run Ad-Aware. Each time I try an error window opens and says "System Error 1814. Could not login to server." I tried to uninstall Ad-Aware but the system will not allow it. I have gone to the Lavasoftusa download site and tried several times to download the new free version, but each time the download is stopped and the following message appears: "Network Error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C;\Docume~1\Mycomp~1\Locals~1\TEMP\mia1\WISDED53BOBB67C and on and on ....
3. All other functions and programs seem to function fine, but the computer is responding much slower than it used to. And, yes, I have run Disk Cleanup and Defrag a couple of times. 4. The last thing I tried was using Restore Point, but whatever has control over this computer will not allow it regardless of what date or how far back I go. It goes through what seems like the entire process but then finally a message comes on that says "Unable to restore to that date".
Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
2009-03-14, 22:14
Hi Larry Davis,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. :)

if you are infected with Malware, you can open your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22), where someone will help you.

Therefore, you have to read the thread "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288).

Larry Davis
2009-03-15, 14:51
I tried to open a thread in the forum you suggested, but even though I was logged in I was unable. A message keeps coming up saying I do not have access.

Matt
2009-03-15, 15:47
Hi Larry Davis,

I've asked a member of Team Spybot for help.