PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Trojans.sbi and TrojansC.sbi

Greg7676
2009-03-15, 17:37
Hello:

Couple nuts and bolts questions...

1) In the filesets menu, there are several lists that have a "C" suffix, like trojans.sbi and trojansC.sbi

What is the difference between the two?

2) Upon shutdown, there is a "unloading registry hives" message in the title bar and it just seems like it takes the program forever to unload (And load, for that matter) What is it doing? I don't remember this from even recent previous versions.

Thanks a bunch!!

md usa spybot fan
2009-03-15, 19:31
Greg7676:

The files for most categories of malware are split into two files, Trojans.sbi and TrojansC.sbi for example. One file contains older more stable signatures and the other file, with a suffix of C, contains more resent signatures. Splitting the files potentially reduces the size of the weekly download by not having to replace all the detection rules for a category of malware each week. See:
Servers upgraded & update size improved]
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8024

If you run Spybot from an administrator account, Spybot loads the registry hives of all the users on a multiple user system so that it can scan those registry hives. This eliminates the need to scan from each user's account to full scan a multiple user system as was required in older versions. After the scan is completed the registry hives that were loaded must be unloaded because leaving them loaded was causing problems for some users when they switched user accounts after a scan.

Note: I assume the time it takes to load/unload the registry hives depends on many factors including the number of users. I my case, with two users, the unload only takes a seconds or two and the unloading message only flashes momentarily in the GUI.