PDA

View Full Version : Alexa and other exploits not detected and missing services.sbs

ralias
2005-11-19, 19:01
I just downloaded Spybot 1.4 and get an error message indicating that services.sbs is missing. Inspite of that, Spybot 1.4 does appear to detect spybots and remove and block them.

Also, Spybot does not appear to be detecting one of the Alexa exploits. After running another program called Spybot Remover, an Alexa exploit was discovered with the following path:

C:\WINNT\Web\RELATED.HTM

I was able to remove this exploit with a program called Hijackthis.

Also, I am getting a very pesky and obnoxtious exploit that is showing up with multiple popups. The exploits popups appear to be referencing the following URLs:

.desktopfix.com
.downloadpatch.com
.fixms.com
.fixnow.com
.msregistrycleaner.com
.registrycleanergold.com
.updatepatch.info

www Urls disabled. - tashi

I am running Win2k Pro Svpk IV on a PIII Intel System. My ISP is Juno Online.

:eek:

tashi
2005-11-19, 19:12
After running another program called Spybot Remover
Hello, what is Spybot Remover? We can better address your questions once we know this.

Cheers.

mikey
2005-11-19, 19:59
It's been a long time since I let SSD fix the Alexa 'what's related' item, does it still replace the related.htm with a Google page?

Here's a swf showing what happens when I click the 'what's related' button; http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/SSD/Alexa/SSDgooglealexa3.swf.html

Even tho my browser is setup for Google as per the SSD fix, the other less defined bot killers, like AdAware, still target it as Alexa. If I used any at all I would just set those poorer bot killers to ignore. :)

From the FAQ section of the 'Help' file;

Why does Spybot-S&D not detect and remove the Alexa key for the What's related function of IE like other anti spyware utilities? FAQ #008
This key is often simply called Alexa, but that is wrong for two reasons:
1. simply calling it Alexa would mix it up with the Alexa Toolbar, and
2. it is not a key created by Alexa. It is a Microsoft Internet Explorer key that points to a Microsoft DLL and a local Microsoft HTML file. The latter redirects to an online MS page, and only that page redirects to the Alexa search engine.

In my opinion a better way than to delete the key would be to make another or even multiple search engines available.

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-19, 20:30
Randal South:

re: Services.sbs

The Services.sbs is a suplimental file and isn't one of the many .sbi files that are used for the scan.

Services.sbs was updated with the 2005-11-18 updates. After installing Spybot 1.4 did you update the detection files?
Spybot > Update > Search for updates > Download updates.

tashi
2005-11-19, 20:56
Randal South.

I am concerned you may have malware on the system.
Please let us know where you obtained "Spybot Remover"

You might want to do the following especially as you have used hjt to fix items on your own.
Go here and follow instructions.
Before you post a log (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288[/url)

Start a topic here:
Malware Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22[/url)