PDA

View Full Version : Spybot will not execute

Super-Chief
2009-03-20, 17:39
I'm having trouble with the latest version of Spybot 1.6.2. It simply will not start up. This is true of prior versions, as well, which did work at one time. When I click on the Icon, the windows hour glass spins for about five seconds and disappears. It makes no difference if I use the short-cut icon or do it directly from the folder in which Spybot resides.

I also have McAfee Virus Scan Plus (I spit on them!). I have it currently disabled completely, yet Spybot will not execute. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled it without success.

I can get the individual components to run, such as SDUpdate.exe, SDShred.exe, and Update.exe. But program SpybotSD.exe won't run and SDMain.exe just opens a blank DOS window and goes away.

What might be keeping Spybot from running?

edblaize
2009-03-20, 17:51
im new to this forum, so please excuse if i posted in the wrong place. im having a similar problem too, but mine does run, it just takes about 5 hours to complete the scan, and it never finds anything. been happening this way for about a year now, doesn't matter which version i use. i dont have very much on my laptops harddrive, i only install antispyware, antivirus, firewall, etc. on the internal, i use an external for installing all programs so that i dont have to reinstall everything everytime i reformat, and of course the external is not hooked up when i scan. the scan used to take about 35 minutes with the same amount of data on the hard drive. any help would be greatly appreciated.

AndrewCrossett
2009-03-21, 00:52
I'm having the same problem as the first poster. I've just installed Spybot but when I try to open it I get a few seconds of the hourglass, then nothing.

drragostea
2009-03-21, 03:18
Let's hit the basics first. Try renaming the desktop icon (Spybot) and if that doesn't work execute the .scr file in Spybot's Program Folder. Details are in this thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=294582&postcount=3
-
Your symptoms usually sound like it is from an active malware infection. Are you sure there's nothing hiding?