PDA

View Full Version : Updating From 1.4

Musical
2009-03-21, 08:49
For one reason and another I havnt kept up with Spybot Search &D. Im still on Version 1.4 as well as my Mothers computer . :slap: Obviously I want to get this sorted.

I dont want to lose the logs on my mums computer ( as I may need to sort a problem she encountered with Spybot S&D) I just want to know if I need to uninstall 1.4 first or just install over the top WITHOUT losing those logs.

Thanks.
Musical

chewdz
2009-03-21, 09:36
What are the logs that you mean?? Are they Spybot scan logs??

Musical
2009-03-21, 10:29
All the Logs SS&D creates.

Musical

Matt
2009-03-21, 11:03
Hi Musical,

All the Logs SS&D creates.

Which problem do you have with your computer and Spybot? Please give us more details... otherwise, it's difficult to help you. :)

If you still have Spybot 1.4 on your computer, you should completely (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html) un-install this version first. After that, reboot your computer and install Spybot 1.6.2.46 you can get from here (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html). ;)

Musical
2009-03-21, 23:36
Thanks for your response Matt.

OK I “look after” my mums computer and heres the story.

Shes, away at the moment and I have her computer at home with me, so I can hopefully get this sorted B4 she gets back. Im on her computer right now.

Specs: P4 2.4Ghz - XP Home 512MBs RAM - 40GIG HDD … Heaps of free space. I have SS&D installed with AVG 7.5 and Spywareblaster 4.1. These will be updated to later versions as soon as I get this issue with SS&D sorted and AVG has just stopped support for 7.5 and so will download the huge 8.5 soon.

Computer is only used basically for emails and a few other basics. She does No Internet banking/transactions online though the computer has been used a couple of times a while ago by other family members for a transaction. This is not likely to be repeated.

About a week ago my Mum encountered a Teatimer Dialog box which she clicked off by the cross which deleted a registry entry as she didnt know whether to allow or disallow it and the allow/ disallow/remember buttons are 1/2 obscured so that you cant see what they are anyway .My SS&D does the same.. The box kept then coming back and she couldnt get rid of it. It reappeared on reboot. When I went to look at her computer this is what I saw :

Category: Session Manager
Change: Value deleted
Entry: BootExecute
Old data: hex(7): 61,75,74,6F,63,68,65,63,6B,20,61,75

After trying to get rid of the box and I cant remember whether I tried clicking, “ allow” again, or “disallow” or the “X “, but I got the following…..

Category: Session Manager
Change: Value deleted
Entry: ExcludeFromKnownDLLs
Old data: hex(7): 00"

Now SS&D takes 50 to 60 secs to load so something is wrong. I checked in the Teatimer log and it APPEARS that AVG was updating but I cant be sure EXACTLY what my mum was doing as shes old and gets confused easily about computers and its difficult to get her to explain stuff.

That’s why I want to keep a record of the logs incase you guys can see something. I have indeed exported the log so incase you want to see it its there. So shall I go ahead now and uninstall 1.4 and install the 1.6.2.0 which I downloaded a couple of days ago.

Thanks for your help....and now Im off to read that " completely" link :)

Musical

drragostea
2009-03-22, 00:34
Right now, Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.4.x is badly oudated and is no longer supported. You'll have a more likely chance of encountering errors when you use the program.

I would suggest you uninstall Spybot-SD, run the "small fix" as indicated in the link -Matt- provided you, reboot, and proceed with the installation of Spybot 1.6.2.46.

I dont want to lose the logs on my mums computer ( as I may need to sort a problem she encountered with Spybot S&D).
Which can be what?

Best regards.

Musical
2009-03-22, 23:50
"Which can be what?"

Do you mean "which is what?" If so, and if Im understanding U, I explained above what the problem SS&D was.

Anywayz Ive reinstalled on both our computers and updated and so forth and so far it all seems to be OK thanks.

Cheers
Musical

Matt
2009-03-23, 17:03
Hi Musical,

Anywayz Ive reinstalled on both our computers and updated and so forth and so far it all seems to be OK thanks.

I'm glad to hear that. ;)