PDA

View Full Version : Stuck-up Spybot

MasterofNone
2009-03-23, 02:41
:euro:

Up unitil now, I have been pretty pleased with Spybot, and even contributed $20. (I want to give more later) So far, the only part about Spybot I did not like, was that I could not figure how to get to the settings screen/tabs unless I scan the computer first, or stop the scan, or update the program, and there is an update.

The problem I have had recently is that after I update my XP Tablet to spybot version 1.6.2.0 it (Spybot) has been locking up.

It goes through the whole scan process and then hangs at the end. Now, I cannot get to the settings screen/tabs anymore. Even if I stop the scan, Spybot just hangs there where I stopped it. This is a good time to have that option available.

No matter how patient I am, the Spybot images (the long "loading Spybot - search & destroy..." and the "check in progress" hangs there on my screen like a tatoo. The only way I can rid myself of it, is by using Windows Task Manager to close it. However, I do not want to close it, I just want to nudge it to the settings page/tabs.

Additionally, I have tried repeatedly to *update* Spybot, and it keeps telling me that it is up-to-date and just closes.

Even after I reinstalled the program it does not change. I do not keep a copy of previous downloaded versions.

Maybe there is something about my XP Tablet that Spybot suddenly does not like.

spybotsandra
2009-03-23, 12:45
Hello,

Did you automate your Spybot for scanning?
When does it freeze exactly?
At the end of the scan or when you want to fix items that were found in a scan?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

MasterofNone
2009-03-24, 06:24
gutten tag mine damme

:cowboy:

Nope, it is not automated. I was thinking it might be a good idea to have it scan at the reboot, but then I do not reboot very often.

Spybot cannot seem to finish the job. It will scan all the way to the end, scanning 486641/486641 with 00:00 time to go, and Firefox - owner (default) - Bookmark at the bottom. It takes about a minute for any image to clear out after other covering stuff is moved, or minimized.

I have even changed the priority from low to high on both TeaTimer.exe, & Spybot.exe in the Windows Task Manager. I had done this because I was afraid that something was trumping Spybot with a higher priority. Due to the PC Tools Spyware doctor seemed to be working too hard, even if it was not scanning.

Since the Spybot program was having this hang-up, PC tools had "updated" and does not seem so CPU hungry, but I still have not resolved the hang-up.

Hopefully, I had not missed any questions. It would be nice if the REPLY TO THREAD was like MySpace and had both the inquiry, and my response visible. Or like eBay. Mine Gut! It is at the bottom. Well, maybe it should be at the top.

norris-colman
2009-04-19, 23:48
OS - Vista 32 bit, latest update.
Anti virus - Norton 360.
Spybot 1.6.2
Freeze on the very latest 524246/524246 with 00:00 to go. I had the same problem with 1.6.0 but apparently the update did not help.
I used automated scanning and removal.

Please advice,

MMG