PDA

View Full Version : Security Recommendations?

slothmaster1
2009-03-24, 20:57
I'm just curious as to what security recommendations you all have. If you offered some, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently using the following programs:

Avira AntiVir
ZoneAlarm
Spybot - S & D
SpywareBlaster

drragostea
2009-03-25, 00:29
With this configuration you're pretty well defended. Be sure to have your machine fully patched and employ strong, solid passwords. Stay updated and your fine. I'm sure you know well enough not visit 'bad' sites and be lured into free 'wallpapers', screensavers, cracks, etc.

Safe surfing.

slothmaster1
2009-03-25, 16:28
Thank you for replying. Yes, I know better than to do that kind of junk.

Matt
2009-03-25, 16:33
Hi slothmaster1,

Moreover, be sure that Windows, Java, Adobe Reader or other tools are up to date! ;)

slothmaster1
2009-03-25, 16:59
Okay. Thank you.

tashi
2009-03-25, 17:56
Hello slothmaster1,

So how did I get infected in the first place? (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279)

See post #6 "Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)" for an easy way to check that your software is up to date. :)

Detects insecure versions of common/popular programs installed on your PC
Verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied
Assists you in updating, patching, and protecting your PC
Activates additional security features in Sun Java

slothmaster1
2009-03-25, 18:14
Thank you, Tashi. I'll be sure to do that.

honda12
2009-03-27, 02:00
... I'm sure you know well enough not visit 'bad' sites and be lured into free 'wallpapers' ...

Sorry to be picky, but there are plenty of good free wallpaper sites - one of my favourites being interfacelift.com. However, yes of course, I agree that people shouldn't go wandering in on *suspicious* pages. :police:

Just providing a more balanced view :bigthumb:

drragostea
2009-03-27, 04:41
Don't worry about it. I feel it was my fault for not clarifying. Sorry. I usually refer to those sites that put heavy emphasis on banners, lots of flashing colors, ads, links to other parties, and most important "free" stuff (lunch doesn't drop from the sky :sad:).