PDA

View Full Version : SD Resident causes IE 7 to hang with connecting message

motohead400
2009-03-27, 15:39
I've experienced this on three different computers now and drove me insane until I finally figured the root of the issue.

Spybot version is the latest (1.6.2). All three computers are running Kaspersky anti-virus and have the Google toolbar installed.

Basically when I would open up Internet Explorer 7 it would hang indefinitely on "Connecting..." It did this at least 50% of the time if not more. Removing SD Resident IMMEDIATELY remedied the problem on all computers and I haven't experienced it since.

md usa spybot fan
2009-03-27, 16:58
motohead400:

By resident are you referring to SDHelper.dll (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) or TeaTimer.exe (Protection of over-all system settings/System setting protector)?

What version of SDHelper.dll or TeaTimer.exe are you running?

motohead400
2009-03-27, 17:22
I'm referring to SDHelper.dll.

Not sure about the version--it's the latest as of today though, as it was just installed on an office computer here and everything was updated. I first encountered this issue months ago on two separate computers as well.

md usa spybot fan
2009-03-27, 22:53
motohead400:

There were problems with using SDHelper.dll with Google toolbar during the initial releases of Spybot 1.6. That is why I asked about the specific version of SDHelper.dll (in this case) that seemed to be causing a problem.

jlevitsk
2009-04-07, 22:11
I have this issue too and we have Google Toolbar. I have this problem with 1.6.2 and SDHelper. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to mass-disable SDHelper.

drragostea
2009-04-08, 04:20
Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident.

leonardevens
2009-04-15, 18:03
I've experienced this on three different computers now and drove me insane until I finally figured the root of the issue.

Spybot version is the latest (1.6.2). All three computers are running Kaspersky anti-virus and have the Google toolbar installed.

Basically when I would open up Internet Explorer 7 it would hang indefinitely on "Connecting..." It did this at least 50% of the time if not more. Removing SD Resident IMMEDIATELY remedied the problem on all computers and I haven't experienced it since.

I have the same experience with Spybot 1.6.1, updated 4-8-09.

I found that I could start a second instance of IE.

I just had to turn off the Resdient IE option in the right click menu for the resident Spybot.

I had the Google Toolbar installed. I haven't tried to find out what happens if I turn it off.

I discovered the problem when Windows Update apparently failed to start. The taskmanager showed that there was an IE process but it din't show up on the screen.

I also found that zombie IE processes are created which have to be forced to shut in order to exit Windows.