PDA

View Full Version : Post Scan/Repair - Cannot Log In to Windows XP

YrbkMgr
2009-03-27, 17:27
I have a reasonably high knowledge of computers and Windows XP, but I'm stuck and need some guidance.

My daughters XP Home unit was rife with malware and spyware, as discovered by SpyBot 1.6x. She had an older version of SpyBot on, I downloaded the latest version, immunized and then and ran a scan.

Several issues came up that I directed SpyBot to fix (there were like 10 of them). I received the message that said, to the effect, "one of the things that needs fixing can't be fixed because it's in use - want me to run at startup and fix it?", to which I replied "yes".

Now windows won't boot. There are two log on options at the windows home screen, Owner or Administrator, neither of which have a password. No matter which one is selected, Windows loads the personalized settings, then flashes to the wallpaper, then goes to "Saving Personal Settings" (effectively logging out), and I'm dead in the water.

I tried safe mode, and safe mode with command prompt, and the same thing happens. I cannot even get to a command prompt to troubleshoot.

In essence, I am dead in the water, and I'm posting here first because the issue began after running SpyBot.

Can you offer ANY help at all?

Thanks in advance.