PDA

View Full Version : Spybot and Kaspersky Lab

NiveusLuna
2009-03-27, 17:55
remember how KIS forces you to remove spybot S&D when you install it? I think I've finally stumbled across an incompatibility.
I don't quite know what triggers it, but KIS breaks occasionally when TeaTimer is running. I've disabled TeaTimer for now, but if you want me to start running it again to figure out how to reproduce the issue, I'll do so.
P.S. Does this belong here, or in the bug report section? I don't know if this is qualifies as a bug or not.

drragostea
2009-03-27, 23:32
Can you give a few details about how Kaspersky "breaks"? What OS are you running? Thanks.

NiveusLuna
2009-03-30, 00:37
Oh whoops. Suppose I should provide that information. xD
Kaspersky Internet Security crashes (stops responding entirely and takes up large amounts of processor time), and something comes up fifteen seconds later or so prompting me to submit a bug report to Kaspersky Lab. It takes inane amounts of processing time to figure out that it broke and launch the bug reporter.

It's been a bit since this last happened, so I don't really remember the details.

Operating system: Vista SP1
Processor: 1.8 GHz dual core AMD Turion64 (32-bit windows though)
RAM: 2048 MB (2 GB)

Anything else you need?

drragostea
2009-03-30, 02:30
Can you reproduce the issue with TeaTimer enabled?

This issue seems new... I'm not exactly sure what is happening here, so you'll need a Team Spybot member to look into this. I'll PM the developer and see if he can take a look into this.

NiveusLuna
2009-03-31, 03:25
I'll re-enable teatimer and try, but I make no guarantees.
edit: um... wtc. teatimer just killed clamwin free antivirus.

Matt
2009-03-31, 14:35
Hi NiveusLuna,

is it right, that you use Kaspersky Internet Security and clamwin free antivirus?

If so, please notice that it's not recommended to use more than one AntiVirus tool. KIS has it's own AntiVirus tool. :nono:

honda12
2009-03-31, 16:45
Hi NiveusLuna,

is it right, that you use Kaspersky Internet Security and clamwin free antivirus?

If so, please notice that it's not recommended to use more than one AntiVirus tool. KIS has it's own AntiVirus tool. :nono:

Actually, using 2 or more real-time scanners is not recommended. Using KIS and Clamwin antivirus is fine because Clamwin is an on demand scanner. However, you shouldn't run both at the same time as conflicts may arise.

Matt
2009-03-31, 16:49
Using KIS and Clamwin antivirus is fine because Clamwin is an on demand scanner. .
Thank you for this information. ;)

NiveusLuna
2009-03-31, 23:10
I only use clamwin for scanning single files. ^_^ Its removal power is terrible because it doesn't integrate as a system service, but its find rates in downloaded files are decent, and it finds some things that Kaspersky doesn't.
all that's running from it usually is clamtray, and that's just to run freshclam once an hour. I could get the same results using the windows task scheduler and a homemade freshclam.conf, but I'm too lazy.

I haven't seen anything break yet with KIS and TeaTimer. Soon as it does, I'll let you know.

I do have a theory as to why Kaspersky might claim it's incompatible. Kaspersky Antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security, and TeaTimer all have behavior blockers. Most antivirus products don't offer that. Of the ones tested on AV-Comparatives, I know of only two others, Avast! (limited to open file, open file for writing, delete file, and rename file) and I think the second is either Norton or Sophos. If it's Norton, that could explain why Symantec claims it's incompatible with Spybot S&D.

drragostea
2009-04-01, 01:03
Well, meaning the whole program is incompatible? Norton, McAfee, and Kasperspy are stubborn because they will not budge even if you offer the program without the Resident Shield.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=46109
-
Yodama, SpybotSandra, and PepiMK's post describes the situation.

NiveusLuna
2009-04-01, 05:02
Most definitely not.
I frequent the kaspersky forums, and I've seen a couple people claim the browser immunization causes horrible conflicts, but I don't see how that's possible.

drragostea
2009-04-01, 23:37
I don't see how there are problems either, unless Kaspersky deliberately creates a conflict. Like the way now McAfee breaks Spybot's uninstaller. That's just not common sense, but more like senseless brute force.

NiveusLuna
2009-04-02, 04:11
If they did deliberately create a conflict, it'd be happening to me, too. It hasn't, just the two incidents with TeaTimer. And those didn't happen until an update to KIS that provided better Simplified Chinese support.
Not saying the update caused the conflict. "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" does not always apply.

ChalupaPatrol
2009-04-09, 00:06
I don't see how there are problems either, unless Kaspersky deliberately creates a conflict. Like the way now McAfee breaks Spybot's uninstaller. That's just not common sense, but more like senseless brute force.
Would you please post your basis for this assertion that, "McAfee breaks Spybot's uninstaller". Mind you, I am not disputing what you say, but asking for supporting evidence. Thank you.

drragostea
2009-04-09, 01:59
Chalupa:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=301913#post301913
-
There.

NiveusLuna
2009-04-09, 18:15
I've run into no conflicts so far. Dang it... Might've been a two-time thing, or it may not have been related to TeaTimer at all.
If anything comes up again, I'll write down exactly what I was doing at the time, running programs, etc, but it looks like that might be a while.