PDA

View Full Version : Norton's AV 2009 and SBSD Teatimer

mindbender
2009-03-30, 18:54
Both products work fine and have for some time. I have NAV 2009 the latest version of SBSD BUT I noticed the other day in my NAV History that it is blocking Teatimer on bootup from making a Registery entry regarding my Internet Explorer and states it was Blocked and no further action required. Now I tried makeing the file exclusion in Auto Protect for Norton it takes it but on a reboot it still makes the same block.

Can anyone help. I also sent a message to Nortons but from all I read the only thing they are interested in is getting rid of SB which I fined to be a great product. I have no visible conflicts with either and can run both at the same time without a problem just this little unseen hidden block

:red:

tanstaafl99
2009-04-04, 14:14
I have what might be the same problem as Mindbender: Norton Internet Security blocking some changes Teatimer is trying to make. I searched the forum and looked in the FAQ, but couldn't come up with anything (other than Symantec not liking Spybot...).

Here are two of the log entries, from the log for 'Symantec Resoruce Protector Alerts'.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Details:
Actor: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TEATIMER.EXE (PID=888)
Target: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C}\
Action: Unauthorized access
Reaction: Unauthorized access stopped
Event Details:
Target: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408}\
Scrolling through the log, it looks like it's just changes to those two BHO's that Norton blocks.

Norton's 'Security History' log lists other BHO changes made by Teatimer, but those other changes are allowed, not blocked.

Could somebody tell me what those two BHO's are that Symantec blocks changes to, and how critical they are to Spybot's protections? And if they are critical, any tips on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dchindley
2009-12-19, 20:52
I'm getting pretty tired of nobody at either Norton or SBS&D wanting to touch this issue, but those two BHOs translate to:

BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C}

BHO: [Symantec] NCO 2.0 IE BHO -{602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408}

It looks like they only block Teatimer registry access to these two BHOs. All others are allowed by Norton antivirus products. Symantec probably doesn't appreciate SBS&D trying to change registry entries for their products. It shouldn't cause any concern, I think.

DCH

I have what might be the same problem as Mindbender: Norton Internet Security blocking some changes Teatimer is trying to make. I searched the forum and looked in the FAQ, but couldn't come up with anything (other than Symantec not liking Spybot...).

Here are two of the log entries, from the log for 'Symantec Resoruce Protector Alerts'.
Event Details:
Target: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C}\
Event Details:
Target: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408}\
Scrolling through the log, it looks like it's just changes to those two BHO's that Norton blocks.

Norton's 'Security History' log lists other BHO changes made by Teatimer, but those other changes are allowed, not blocked.

Could somebody tell me what those two BHO's are that Symantec blocks changes to, and how critical they are to Spybot's protections? And if they are critical, any tips on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

Thanks!