PDA

View Full Version : Spybot opens then immediately closes

ozone81
2009-03-31, 19:37
I have only experienced this problem when spybot is installed on a friends laptop. when I double click on the start up icon or left click and select open. The hour glass appears momentarily then disappears and the program never opens. I wonder if anyone is aware of any setting of program that may cause this.

Matt
2009-03-31, 20:10
Hi ozone81,

:welcome: to Safer Networking. :)

One reason could be: Malware is blocking Spybot from being opened. I would like you to read this post (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=294582&postcount=3) from md usa spybot fan and follow these instructions. Does it help you?

ozone81
2009-03-31, 21:14
Wow, that was easy. Thanks for your help.

Matt
2009-03-31, 21:50
Hi ozone81,

I'm glad I could help.

Did you run a scan with Spybot? Did it find Malware?

jdunne2
2009-04-02, 18:14
I am having a similar issue - I ran spybot on 4/1 with updates fine - no issues, then today 4/2 I can't get it to start. I can get the shredder to open but the SDMAIN won't start at all. Not sure why this is happening.

thanks
Joe

Matt
2009-04-02, 20:49
Hi Joe,

can you open Spybot in safe mode or with the link in my previous post?

jdunne2
2009-04-02, 21:26
Matt

I tried to run spybot in safe mode and had no luck. Additionally, I couldn't launch it from inside the spybot folder. Also, noticed I can't access the avg(also running avg) update site or the safer-networking.org website and occasionally while researching this issue the links I try in google redirect me to other sites then where the link should go. I am looking on a german hijack-this forum and it appears I am not the first with this issue - just fyi

joe

mthhelp
2009-04-02, 22:23
Matt/Joe,

I am having the problem as well. I have tried to run Spybot as well as another anti-malware. I had antivirus 360 on my machine, and thought I got rid of it just by searching through the files and getting rid of the AV360 and A360 executable files. It isn't acting like it is still on my machine, but something must be. I tried your solution, and the icon is active (it created a new one as well), but when I try to run it, it doesn't do anything. The other thing my machine will do, is start playing some type of radio station or something at random. It won't show that anything is active, the internet isn't up or anything, it will just start playing. I have looked at the executing files, and the only thing that is active is iexplore.exe - not sure why it is. I think my computer is possessed:) and any help anyone can give would be awesome. Oh and also, I tried to install Kaspersky 2009, thinking that might help and it won't let me install it all the way - it keeps failing. HELP!! thanks...

Therese

drragostea
2009-04-03, 01:06
You'll want to make a trip to the Malware Removal Forums to get this cleaned out. The malware is disabling Spybot from starting up.

and the only thing that is active is iexplore.exe - not sure why it is.
Your IE is hijacked and is active in the background.