PDA

View Full Version : Administrator rights issues

Jas09
2009-04-02, 11:29
Hey all,

I have had a bit of a trawl through posts and can't seem to find any answers to my problem. At the moment, whenever I load spybot (v1.6.2.0) it comes up with the loading bar, but at the very end says that I can't load it fully as I am not an administrator. Checking my user accounts, I have the only profile and it is listed as administrator. I am able to get into spybot, but when I immunise, the same error pops up.
I followed the process here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19135) but it seems to have made no difference. I even enabled the hidden Vista administrator account just to make sure my usual account had administrator rights.

I have read that spywareblaster is causing issues (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272)? I tried "unimmunising" the firefox parts in SB (by unchecking the boxes?) but that hasn't made any difference. The only thing that has changed on my system since I got my internet account a week ago is that I installed MSN messenger plus and enabled UAC. Do I need to right click / run as admin to run SB every time? How do I make it stay in resident memory / minimise to system tray?

Hopefully this makes sense. Any help muchly appreciated.

Matt
2009-04-02, 11:53
Hi Jas09,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. :)

Which operating system do you have?

Right click on the Spybot icon on the desktop and choose "Run as administrator". Does this help you?

Jas09
2009-04-02, 11:57
Sorry, thought I mentioned that I was using Vista business

Oh, and thanks for the welcome :)

Jas09
2009-04-02, 12:00
Oh, and missed your comment :slap:

Yeah, if I run the SDmain app as admin it works fine, but why do i have to do that every time I log in? Plus, Spybot autostarts on bootup, but running the file doesn't seem to keep SB in memory...

Matt
2009-04-02, 12:12
Right click Spybot, choose properties, choose the compatibility tab and choose Start Spybot with Windows XP compatibility mode. Then it works everytime. :)

Jas09
2009-04-02, 12:16
So is there a reason that this has started happening? Also, which file loads on boot?

Matt
2009-04-02, 12:40
TeaTimer is loading on reboot. It protects your computer's registry against Malware changes. Or do you mean something different here? :)

Jas09
2009-04-02, 12:46
Just making sure that the file I am forcing to run in admin / xp mode loads on boot so that I can get access straight thru my system tray icon

Matt
2009-04-02, 17:10
Hi Jas09,

Follow this path:

Open Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
and activate both, SDHelper and TeaTimer, if it isn't already activated.

Now you can see the TeaTimer icon in the right down corner.

Right click on that icon and you have access to TeaTimer, SD Helper or Spybot.