PDA

View Full Version : Spybot on startup

jaymare
2009-04-03, 20:14
On initial startup of my computer, Spybot will sometimes begin an unwanted scan. Under settings, nothing is checked in Program section and Web update section. No automation is checked in System Section. This may have began after an update to 3.0.8 of Mozilla Firefox. Please advise a remedy to this problem. Thank you.

holoman
2009-04-21, 04:59
Ya. My dad's machine is doing the same thing. In advanced settings everything related to scanning on restart is turned off but spybot does a full scan everytime he restarts his machine. Also, if he clicks teh button to stop the scan it seems to freeze SB.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated. I feel clueless and would be happy to accept the fact that I am indeed clueless if it meant that I got a solution to this problem ;).

Thanks a bunch.

spybotsandra
2009-04-21, 10:23
Hello,

Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'tools'->'System Startup'
Then mark the following entry and remove it: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck

If this does not help maybe this is due to the message during the scan "It is recommended that you reboot and scan again to find items that may be uncovered only after a reboot."

Please dowload a new SpybotSD.exe file here (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/SpybotSD.exe-1.6.3.50.zip#hash(md5:C26CC8BB790A946655E51E52C4247C71).

Also download a new advcheck.dll here (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/advcheck.dll-1.6.3.17.zip#hash(md5:A3DFA8F88DED4C552F41D635B1542EB6).

Replace it with the files in your Spybot program folder. If the SpybotSD.exe is hidden, make it visible:

* Using Windows Explorer navagate to:
o C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
* In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
* In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
* Uncheck the following option:
o Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
* Click the Apply button.
* Click the OK button.
* The files should now be displayed

Then after the next scan is done please post this file here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs\Run Entry History.txt

Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.

Thanks. :-)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

holoman
2009-04-27, 19:59
I have done as you instructed. I removed the entry. It did not stop the launch of SB on restart. I then downloaded the two zip files and installed them at the location specified (renamed the originals with a .safe extension instead of replacing them). Upon restart the scan happened again. I just checked the logs folder and the file you asked for is not there. There is a Checks.<#>-<#>.log, an Update downloads.log (both are older than the date of the latest scan) and also a Resident.log which has the right date on it.

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

spybotsandra
2009-04-29, 10:08
Hello,

Do you have a fixes log?
Please post this here.

A bug report would also be nice. :)
Thanks.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot