PDA

View Full Version : virus infection

pcfootball
2009-04-07, 03:27
Hello.

I have a virus on my machine, which is preventing any use of the machine. When I login and the OS loads, I get nothing on the screen except the desktop image -- no icons, no taskbar, nothing else. (There are several, mostly familiar, processes running.)

I think this is a virus because, well, Avira av was telling me I have a trojan infection before the screen went blank. (Spybot would crash whenever I tried to run it.)

I can't download Hijack This to my computer, for obvious reasons. I've promised the friend whose computer I'm writing from that I won't download anything on her computer. Is there a third way?

Thank you very much for your time.

katana
2009-04-10, 17:03
Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Hello and welcome to the forums

My name is Katana and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please observe these rules while we work:
Please Read All Instructions Carefully
If you don't understand something, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
Please do not run any other tools or scans whilst I am helping you
Failure to reply within 5 days will result in the topic being closed.
Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear"
(Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there)

If you can do those few things, everything should go smoothly http://www.countingcows.de/laechel.gif

Please Note, your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use.
Be assured, any links I give are safe
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode ?

Reboot in safe mode

To reboot in safe mode
You can boot in Safe Mode by restarting your computer, then continually tapping F8 or F5 until a menu appears.
Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter.

Let me know if you can get a HJT log in safe mode.

If you have a USB/Flash Drive, then I can give you a list of programs to download on your friends computer and then you can transfer them to your machine.
I can assure you, any links I give you are safe.

pcfootball
2009-04-11, 02:47
hi katana,

thanks for your help.

Safe mode won't work, unfortunately, because it won't take the password I normally use to login. (It's an old computer of my mother's, and she doesn't recall any of the passwords.)

I do have a usb port, but if I can't login with safe mode, how do I run the programs you instruct me to?

katana
2009-04-11, 03:25
The safe mode password is the same as the normal password ?
Are you sure you tried to access the same user account