PDA

View Full Version : Spybot will not start

Super-Chief
2009-04-09, 19:22
I am having a very curious problem with Spybot. I am running version 1.6.2. I should also mention that I have McAfee Virus Scan Plus running, as well. When I click on the Spybot Desktop icon, the hour glass appears, spins for about five or six seconds, then goes away. Nothing else happens; no Spybot, no messages; nothing.

I have tried in vain to search the archives and blogs to find a remedy. The closest thing I found was advice to go to the folder where Spybot was installed, look for an odd-named file with suffix .SCR that had the same file size as the Spybot.exe had, and then double-click on it. I found three such .SCR files. I double-clicked on one of them (and eventually tried all of them), and each time, Spybot started. BUT...

It began by displaying the Loading Spybot progress bar. It progressed to about 50% and froze. So I did a Ctl-Alt-Del to see what else was running. I found a Mcafee program, mcsysmon.exe that was running at 70%-93% of the CPU. So I killed the McAfee program and Spybot continued to load itself.

It would not do a scan nor download any updates. When I clicked on the Update button, a message appeared for about a half-second that said it was up to date, and then disappeared. When I click on Check For Problems, I get a message box that says, "You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater." So, I click on the Update button again, and nothing happens, again, because it says everything is up to date.

So I then tried this all again by disabling McAfee, altogether. This made no difference. I then tried to uninstall and then install version 1.6.0. This also made no difference.

What is wrong with my Spybot and why can I not get it to run? I strongly suspect I have malware on my computer and I need to get it scanned and eliminated. Please help!!! Thanks!

drragostea
2009-04-09, 23:48
This sounds like the symptoms of a possible malware infection, but we don't know for sure. I think what will fix the "You need to install updates..." message is to install the updates manually.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
-

Detection updates© 2009-04-08 - product description

md5: 131FF11A413B60BB8C5504E470AE4A3F

So I killed the McAfee program and Spybot continued to load itself.
Tell me how it goes after installing the updates (from SaferNetworking). :santa: