PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem on reinstall?

WishBone
2009-04-13, 16:56
Okay here's the deal when i bought my PC, it had spybot S&D installed with it. I kept on maintaining and updating all software that came along with this PC.
Just recently, i had problems with browser issues(possible hijacks). A friend of mine(IT graduate) said i had to get spybot S&D to fix the problem with these possible hijacks. I said i already have one and i thought mine wasn't fully updated in a way.
What i did was download the latest version on the site 1.6.2 if im not mistaken, uninstalled my old one(also 1.6.2 according to the header) and installed the new installer i downloaded.

Problem is, i used to have this feature where i can scan files one by one by right clicking it then selecting "Scan with Spybot S&D". When i installed the version i got from the site, i lost that feature. Am i missing a setting of some sort? I cant seem to find it anywhere i advanced mode.

EDIT: Also, i have noticed it doesnt open an alert box anymore if i install something.
EDIT2: When i right click the tray icon the click on settings, i had entries on "Allowed registry changes" before.

Matt
2009-04-13, 18:16
Hi WishBone,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. ;)

Problem is, i used to have this feature where i can scan files one by one by right clicking it then selecting "Scan with Spybot S&D". When i installed the version i got from the site, i lost that feature. Am i missing a setting of some sort? I cant seem to find it anywhere i advanced mode.
You have to choose this feature during the installation process. I think it's (almost) the last in that row...

EDIT: Also, i have noticed it doesnt open an alert box anymore if i install something.
Well, which version of Teatimer do you use? Therefore, right-click on the icon in the right down corner and choose About.
More information here: TeaTimer seems not to be functioning (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=46937).

WishBone
2009-04-13, 18:24
Clicked about and it says Version 1.6.2.0
System settings protector 1.6.6.32

And for the feature, i guess i have to reinstall. xD

WishBone
2009-04-13, 18:41
Everything seems to be fine now. The link to the thread you posted helped me find out teatimer allows legit processes in the background and i dont have to go through the prompts(which was annoying)

Last question prior to me second edit on my first post.

EDIT2: When i right click the tray icon the click on settings, i had entries on "Allowed registry changes" before.

drragostea
2009-04-14, 01:04
They were probably erased when you upgraded.

WishBone
2009-04-14, 07:08
That's pretty much the case. But my point is, do i need them and if possible, how can i get them back. I cant remember those entries in the first place.

drragostea
2009-04-15, 03:27
Well, it would not have made a difference if you have allowed all the prompts that comes up and if you had TeaTimer disabled.

To me, there is not much of a difference besides the fact that you'll have to decide to Allow or Deny the prompt when it comes up next time (just a click).