PDA

View Full Version : Malware

Mr. Bum Bam
2009-04-15, 21:41
My problems originated whe I was at home one day. The lights were out so I was scanning my laptop (using Spybot S&D) on battery power. Because there were no lights, I was paying close attention to the files Spybot was scanning. I noticed it scanned virtumone, smith-fraud and zlob.downloader which are all common viruses. The problem is. Spybot didn't find any problems. So I rebooted in safe-mode. I ran Spybot, Symantec & Avast and none of them found anything. I dont even know how I got these on my system because I recently did a frsh install of XP. So, I am wondering if there is a possibility that virtumonde, smith-fraud and zlob.downloader.gen are harmless or is my system wasting away.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

tashi
2009-04-16, 01:44
Hi there,

The progress bar showing Spybot-S&D searching for malware does not mean those items are on your computer. :)

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

Best regards.

Mr. Bum Bam
2009-04-16, 06:26
Well could you tell me what it means then. Does Spybot check the files on my system versus some kind of safer-networking database or something. I guess I am an novice.

Note: I love Spybot. Its the best software out there to combat malware, adware, etc.

Matt
2009-04-16, 12:22
Hi Mr. Bum Bam,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. :)

Under the progress bar, you can see the infection Spybot is searching at the moment. Therefore, Spybot searches at locations where this infection is found, according to the detection rules on your computer.