PDA

View Full Version : can't change home page after spybot installation

roysmom
2009-04-16, 17:46
My nephew installed Spybot while visiting.

I could not excess email with it. Comcast had me reset internet explorer but that did not help--nothing they offered help. Finally I uninstalled Spybot and got my email back.

however, now Spybot is not allowing me to change my home page to comcast.net
--it always reverts it back to 4dellforme--original home page.

Even though I uninstalled it , it said some elements will remain and must be removed manually.

How do I get it to allow me to change my home page back to where it was originally?

Can someone explain , very simply, how to remove it completely, as I am not computer savvy.

Thanks

roysmom
2009-04-16, 19:10
more info.:

I tried to do a systems restore to a point pre-spybot but it says I have no restore points to do that.

I have had comcast for years as homepage --really want it back.
Can't get rid of 4Dellforme homepage ,which came with computer years ago.

I was told Spybot does this to prevent the homepage from being changed by hijackers--well how does the 'real' PC owner change it?

Plus why is this feature imbedded now even though I uninstalled Spybot?

Thanks

drragostea
2009-04-17, 06:02
Open Spybot>Advanced Mode>Tools>IE Tweaks, is the second option:

Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Is that option checked?

roysmom
2009-04-17, 07:08
Thanks for responding.

I don't know as I uninstalled Spybot to acess my email and other sites. Isn't there any way to undo what they have put into system.

When I click Internet Options no matter how many times I try to change it always reverts back to original Dell home page.

I just downloaded the new Internet Explorer 8 version thinking I could start 'fresh' and put in the home page I wanted but it is not allowing any changes either.

I hate to download Spybot again to change the settings as I have been reading about all the problems with version 8 and Spybot. It just seems that my original uninstall did not do a complete job at returning the original settings and removing 'locks'.

Could I download Spybot--change that lock on the homepage and then uninstall it? WOuld it then stay unlocked?

drragostea
2009-04-18, 05:09
Finally I uninstalled Spybot and got my email back.
This really intrigued me because I have never heard of Spybot blocking access to email. Is this like Outlook Express email or Internet mail (Yahoo!, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)?

however, now Spybot is not allowing me to change my home page to comcast.net
I'm just asking, but how did you tell Spybot was 'blcoking' your change? A pop-up? But more importantly, after you changed the homepage and restarted (closed and reopened) the browser, the homepage was still back to the Dell page?

I would suggest you install Spybot again and check the settings I mentioned above.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-

roysmom
2009-05-20, 04:26
I reinstalled Spybot and went to
IE tweaks and unchecked all the boxes---they related to locking homepage, etc.

and

I still can't change my home page.

It stays at 4dellforme.com no matter what

I also have Internet Explorer 8 and it is so incredibly slow (and yes I read the reasons why)

I went to immunize and unchecked everything and it is still slow --anything else I can do? thank you

drragostea
2009-05-20, 05:23
So I guess you're using Internet mail such as Yahoo! and Comcast?

anything else I can do?
Could be other variables but it does not necessarily have to relate to the Immunization.

If you makes you feel any better, feel free to uninstall Spybot for the time being to assure you that it is not the one that is preventing you from changing your homepage. There is no option in Spybot to disables any user's ability to change their homepage whenever they wish automatically. It must be activated first. Unless your nephew did some tweaking and locked the homepage or something, but that's a different story.