PDA

View Full Version : XP SP3 IE7 Spybot Immunization & SDHelper incompatibility

kduncan5
2009-04-17, 14:56
I have spent the last several months cursing my Internet Service Provider (ATT/Yahoo DSL) because my pages would hang every time I tried to go anywhere. It was like my pages were swimming through molasses, each page would take 5 to 7 seconds to load on a 1.3mb connection, Yahoo Messenger even took an inordinate amount of time to load (no Google Toolbar on my computer).

Then I saw the thread(s) in here about IE8 and Spybot's Immunization + SDHelper's incompatibility issues and decided to try disabling Immunization and SDHelper on mine. Suddenly my pages load fast again, surfing is fast as lightning like it used to be.

Apparently M$ had begun the process of making the changes in IE7 that has rendered Immunization/SDHelper incompatible with IE8.

Glad I got my speed back, now I need to find a different way to block the spyware crap from getting on my computer. -kd5-

ky331
2009-04-17, 15:10
it might be helpful if you could pinpoint the culprit more precisely, because you can use the following 3 SpyBot aspects independently of each other:
1) Immunization of [only] the (Global) HOSTS file
2) Immunization of [only] the IE components ("domains", cookies, IPs)
3) SDHelper BHO

I just "walked" someone through testing each of these at the DELL forum, and in her case, it turned out that the SDHelper BHO was causing her problems. So she disabled it, but was able to keep the other two.

kduncan5
2009-04-20, 19:06
I only run the Immunization that's available from the main Spybot GUI, I don't use any other immunization aspects that may be available with Spybot.

First I tried disabling only Immunization, pages loaded quite a bit faster than they have for some time. Then I disabled SDHelper and pages loaded faster yet. I am still running SpywareBlaster, I have not yet chosen to run SpywareGuard. I have Avanquest/V-Com System Suite 8 installed on my computer which gives me additional protection at this time which is why I've held off on installing SpywareGuard.

At any rate, by disabling Immunization/SDHelper I have now regained the speed of access to websites that I am paying ATT/Yahoo for.

Don't know how I can be more specific than that. -kd5-

kduncan5
2009-05-02, 14:23
So no one of any import would like to acknowledge this issue and perhaps offer an alternative to disabling SDHelper and Immunization or that the issue is being looked at and a resolution is in the making? Do we (IE7/IE8 users) just not use SDHelper and Immunization anymore? -kd5-