PDA

View Full Version : Deleting temp files before scan

StayProtected
2009-04-18, 05:41
Hello, I've been using SB S&D for awhile now, but I've never needed to ask any questions for help until now. Ever since I first got SB S&D, it prompts me to let it delete the temp files or not to. It's not really a bother, but when I started clicking "yes" a few days ago to delete them, it won't delete them. It says that I have over 1700 files in the folder (upon my last check a few minutes ago) but when I click "yes" to get rid of them, it always says that it can't delete almost all of them because they're in use.

I have checked other posts like:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=44913&highlight=delete+temporary+files

some say its due to a virus, or read-only files, etc.

But are they even worth deleting? From what I've heard, they're leftovers from installing programs and such; but since I see so many files in the folder C:/WINDOWS/Temp maybe I might delete something that I should have kept.

Any suggestions?

drragostea
2009-04-18, 06:21
Well, it doesn't have to be a virus that could result in the error message.

To sum it up, what Spybot-Search&Destroy aims to do by clearing your Temp. Folder is to speed the scan time. Not only that, but this is also a benign function because the Temp folder is not sometimes looked into, so installs, uninstall files could be left over and trojan droppers can also take advantage of this folder.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=33948
-

But are they even worth deleting? From what I've heard, they're leftovers from installing programs and such; but since I see so many files in the folder C:/WINDOWS/Temp maybe I might delete something that I should have kept.
That's what you heard, but clearing the Temp folder really does no harm to your system. You have nothing to lose. And I don't see what you can "keep" from that folder since it's useless data, that you cannot use. If you were install something, all that important data and files would be with the program not in the Temp folder.

StayProtected
2009-04-18, 08:40
I see, so I don't need the stuff huh? I get upset everytime I encounter a problem relating to my computer in any way.

Matt
2009-04-18, 11:54
Hi StayProtected,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. :)

First of all, I would recommend that you close all other programs before you open Spybot and scan your computer. Or better: You scan your computer first, and then do some other things. :)

Moreover, there is a good tool according to delete files from the temp folders:
ATF Cleaner (http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25)
Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. It is a great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.

kinos
2009-04-19, 12:56
i have a few temp files witch s&d wont remove,there i use by my anti viruis/spyware program and if i was to manually remove them it destroys that program.

webroots program.

kinos
2009-04-19, 14:16
ok this time it didnt.

i did use aft cleaner however it didnt remove all,i had to use killbox.
witch doesnt help as i have to reboot so i cant scan without them being in place.
some where in read mode,some where locked one one was hidden.
however two remain on reboot.

one is hidden file name;etilqs_(random numbers)
the other is;~DF1F64.tmp

is this malware? by gogling the DF1f64.tmp might be so.
should i replace them as dummys?
and should i go into the super admin account and look to delte any there?

also should i know delte the missing autoruns?
i do have some other autoruns from removed viruis/trojans/malware but i am unsure what to do.

help me before i kill my machine....joke but kwim.

edit due to correcting information.

kinos
2009-04-21, 17:27
the temp file was not malware.
some time ago i ran the WMI utilty to dignose a problem,now it seems like it wont stop running and is keeps adding temp files.
is there anyway to stop this tool from running?

Matt
2009-04-22, 10:22
Hi kinos,

there's always the possibility to check single files at VirusTotal (http://www.virustotal.com/). But even if it comes up clean, there is no garantee for you that it is 100% clean.

If you are not sure, whether you have some leavings from Malware, you can try open your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22). Therefore, you have to read the thread "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288) from tashi carefully and prepare an HijackThis logfile.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the WMI utility... :sad:

bitman
2009-04-22, 16:54
WMI is Windows Management Instrumentation and connects your antivirus and other security programs to the Windows Security Center to display their status. It should always be running on a system and will create significant problems if it's stopped or removed.

Those particular temporary files are normal and required, so just leave them alone. They along with many others created by other programs and left behind are the reason for the temporary file cleanup feature at Spybot S&D startup. If this isn't performed the time required for a full Spybot S&D scan can increase dramatically as already mentioned, but a small handful of temporary files is normal and won't create significant issues.

Bitman

tashi
2009-04-22, 18:56
i had to use killbox.

help me before i kill my machine....joke but kwim.

:yes: Be careful. ;)

bitman
2009-04-22, 19:34
Maybe they should change the name of Killbox to 'Suicide'? :D:

tashi
2009-04-22, 20:50
:rotfl:

port80
2009-04-23, 16:29
I've been using Spybot S&E for about a month and never accepted the option to delete Temp. files until today and now every time I send an email I get an error msg tellling me Could not open the file
and it lists a file in my Documents~\LOCAL~\Temp folder

I read through the Help files but don't see any reference to recovering these deleted Temp files.

I haven't checked all my other programs but so far only Eudora is affected.

Any helpful suggestions?

bitman
2009-04-23, 18:36
Your problem is with Eudora, not Spybot S&D. Did you have Eudora open when you deleted the temporary files? If so, close it and restart the program and see what happens. Otherwise, try restarting the PC before opening Eudora again.

If this simple troubleshooting doesn't fix the problem, see the Eudora Support site for ideas. Here's a link to a search of their KnowledgeBase for 'temp files':

http://www.eudora.com/search/query.html?qp=EPWIN+url%3A%2Fwin%2F&qt=temp+files&col=eudorakb+eudora2&qm=1

Note that more than one of these support articles specifically mention emptying all files from this very same temp folder to resolve issues, so this shouldn't be a problem. You probably just did this while the program was open, which is never a good idea.

Bitman

kinos
2009-05-07, 22:55
thanks for the info.

StayProtected
2009-08-05, 06:30
It's been awhile since I started this thread, but when I clicked "Yes" to clear out the files upon running SB this evening it removed almost all of the files this time. Like I said in earlier posts, it retained over 1700 previously but now it cleared them out and about 50 are left. Is there some reason that anybody knows of that might have caused this? Also: I downloaded the latest batch of updates too, maybe that had something to do with it.

drragostea
2009-08-05, 23:58
You have nothing to lose. And I don't see what you can "keep" from that folder since it's useless data, that you cannot use. If you were install something, all that important data and files would be with the program not in the Temp folder.
muha: That's basically what I was about to tell you. The latest batch of updates or what ever future updates there may be will not result in Spybot telling you there are excess Temp. files that need to be cleaned out. The general idea of clearing out redundant Temp. files aims to speed up whatever the program will be doing. Whether it is a scan or a defragment. In fact, Auslogic's Disk Defrag suggests that you clear the Temp. files out before you defrag.

StayProtected
2009-08-09, 06:31
muha: That's basically what I was about to tell you. The latest batch of updates or what ever future updates there may be will not result in Spybot telling you there are excess Temp. files that need to be cleaned out. The general idea of clearing out redundant Temp. files aims to speed up whatever the program will be doing. Whether it is a scan or a defragment. In fact, Auslogic's Disk Defrag suggests that you clear the Temp. files out before you defrag.

Great, thanks!

dvnsarma
2016-09-10, 08:05
Spybot SD says that it cannot delete some 395 temporary files because they are in use.
I would be very much obliged for suggestions from members of this blog who have come across this problem.