PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Performing Illegal Operation

JorgeA
2009-04-19, 06:07
Hello,

I have a Windows 98 desktop PC on which I happily used Spybot S&D for years.

In December the computer developed a mysterious problem where it would only go into Safe Mode (some kind of "Windows Protection" message, as I recall), and no matter what I tried it would never reach the regular Windows screen, so I was unable to get my e-mail or reach the Internet. I ended up having to buy a new computer.

The old computer was completely offline for about two months. Oddly enough, the bootup problem seems to have resolved itself in the meantime. (I'm still glad I got a new computer and DSL service.) But now every time I try to run Spybot 1.5.2 it runs normally through almost the entire process, then it comes to a halt with a message saying that, "the program has performed an illegal operation and must close," or words to that effect.

This week I downloaded and installed the current version of Spybot. In fact that happened automatically as I was downloading the most recent detection files. The download and installation took place apparently normally. But when I ran the program, it did the same thing as my version 1.5.2: it went through almost all of the half-million detection files and then stopped due to an unspecified "illegal operation."

I don't know exactly at what point the program stops because the scan takes so long to complete, and I have things to attend to other than watch the progress bar. (The scan takes over an hour.)

Does anyone out there have a clue as to what might be going on, and what I can do? I have Spybot on my spanking new Vista 64-bit version computer, and it works great. (EXCEPT that sometimes I click on the icon and the thingy swirls for a few seconds, then nothing happens but Task Manager claims it's loaded into memory.)

For what it's worth, as I was typing this message on the new computer, I was trying to load Spybot 1.5.2 on the old one in order to do a scan and get the exact error message for you. But as it was laboriously loading (for almost a year Spybot has been taking up to 15 minutes to load), I clicked on Start > Programs to doublecheck the right version numbers, and the computer turned itself off!

Any suggestions or insights will be greatly appreciated. I'm most interested, of course, in following up on that "illegal operation" issue.

JorgeA

JorgeA
2009-04-19, 21:34
I have an update with additional information that I hope will help to pinpoint the problem.

The Spybot 1.6.2 scan on the Windows 98 computer ran overnight and stopped again before finishing. It's at 524246/526943.

The error message reads:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

"If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

The problem is definitely persisting, so that's why I'm here.

The "Details" button yields the following:

SPYBOTSD caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7289d.
Registers:
EAX=00010000 CS=0177 EIP=bff7289d EFLGS=00010297
EBX=0000ffff SS=017f ESP=3837b609 EBP=3837a1a7
ECX=38373635 DS=017f ESI=00010000 FS=1227
EDX=00017b84 ES=017f EDI=00001077 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
e8 66 19 00 00 8b d7 8b c6 66 64 89 1d 1e 00 00
Stack dump:

And that's where it ends.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

JorgeA