PDA

View Full Version : Kids computer has been infected

jmcamc
2009-04-28, 15:01
Ran s&D last night and this morning said all was clear. My son rebooted the computer and we get to the welcome screen, input the password and immediately get logged off and sent back to the welcome screen. Don't know how to get to my scans to post information here. Any and all help would be greatly apprecited.

jmcamc
2009-04-28, 19:27
I have tried booting my computer up in safe mode and that has not worked at all. It still is in a loop at the welcome window at startup.

Shaba
2009-04-28, 20:16
Hi jmcamc

Do you have windows CD handy?

jmcamc
2009-04-28, 20:18
I have a windows xp upgrade cd available. Will that work?

Shaba
2009-04-28, 20:22
I am not 100% sure but let's try.

See here (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm) how to perform repair installation of xp and let me know how it went.

jmcamc
2009-04-28, 21:27
I am currently running this as you said. It may be abit before I can get back to this as I have to get the kids from school. So far everything is running without any errors showing up.

Shaba
2009-04-28, 21:28
OK, keep me informed :)

jmcamc
2009-04-29, 01:36
I have done the repair installation and it did not work. It is still in the loop of logging on and then logging off immediately after I click on the user.

Shaba
2009-04-29, 07:23
Then we have practically two choices:

1) Saving data in a way that you put hard drive as slave to another computer and backup data and reformat afterwards

2) Using live linux to backup data and reformat afterwards

Let me know which one you prefer.

jmcamc
2009-04-29, 21:06
Which way would be easiest to get information off the hard drive. Basically, the only stuff that I need to get are some pictures and videos that I had not backed up to my external hard drive. All the other stuff is things that the kids had and I can easily get that back on there.

I so appreciate all your help. I figured that we were going to have to reformat when the repair didn't work.

Shaba
2009-04-29, 21:09
Both things have pros and cons.

It might not be easy to put hard drive to another computer if you haven't done it before, copying is easy then thpugh. Making live linux CD is easy but backupping under linux is not. So I think that both are pretty equal.

Shaba
2009-05-04, 18:05
Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.