PDA

View Full Version : Novice in need of SERIOUS help! Can't even open browsers.

jftf1109
2009-04-29, 03:17
First off, thanks for any help that can be provided and please excuse my lack of knowledge but I don't know where else to turn.

I think I may have the Conficker virus but I'm also having symptoms that I haven't heard are associated with Conficker.

I'm running XP and recently updated to SP3. At that time, I updated and rebooted and everything seemed fine. Upon opening my browser, I found I was being redirected to various websites. I tried to update Spybot S&D and AVG Free 8.0 but received error messages with both. I was also being blocked from various websites where I tried to run online scans. I found my DNS settings were no longer set to Automatic, that system restore was unavailable and that I could not access User Accounts.

I attempted to run Spybot S&D many times with no luck (except once). I found and removed the following problems:
Zlob.DNS Changer
Altnet
Hotbot
Microsoft.Windows.AppFirewallBypass
Microsoft.SecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride
Minibug
Myway.Mybar
Myway.MySearch
Myway.MyWebSearch

After removing, I found my Network Connections was suddenly empty and I couldn't open IE at all and Firefox said it was in offline mode.

I tried to restore the previously mentioned problems to atleast get my browsers functioning again but no luck.

I was able to get S&D to run once again since that time and found the same problems. However, it just shut down after completing the scan.

I'm completely lost at this point.

Again, thanks for any help you can provide....it is greatly appreciated!

Edit: New topic http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=308480#post308480