PDA

View Full Version : help me Stop spybot from overiding my settings in folder options and scanning files

slickrcbd
2009-05-02, 05:03
Since I upgraded my old win98 computer to version 1.6.2, Spybot is overriding my settings on certain filetypes and launching the automatic scanner instead of the program I want it to. I do NOT want Spybot to launch automatically. It takes at least a minute or two to run the scan, and I am very impatient. Especially for files I created myself or have had for years.

I ONLY want Spybot to scan a single file when I right click on it and tell it to do so from the context menu. How do I configure Spybot to NEVER automatically scan a file, but only do so when I explicitly tell it to from the context menu? In short, it should NOT be launching when I double click on a file, only when I right-click and choose "Scan with spybot search & destroy".

I apologize if this has been posted before, but the search feature on the forum doesn't seem to be working. I keep getting the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /arrayx/www/forums/search.php on line 1155

Thus, I can't search for previous posts.

Tom.K
2009-05-02, 07:20
it should NOT be launching when I double click on a file, only when I right-click and choose "Scan with spybot search & destroy". This is a problem with extensions which don't have any association like .DLL and .SYS. I'm not sure how to fix it. However, I only have a suggest and replacment idea: Instead of HKCR\*\Shell\sdfiles\, "sdfiles" should be redirected to HKCR\*\shellex. However, it needs CLSID and some changes to make it work. I've tried to
look at other shellex paths to see how it should go, but it's hard.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but the search feature on the forum doesn't seem to be working. I keep getting the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /arrayx/www/forums/search.php on line 1155

Thus, I can't search for previous posts.
This happends if you look for something which has too many results, for example, if you enter "windows" (no quotes), you'll get same error.

slickrcbd
2009-05-03, 03:36
This is a problem with extensions which don't have any association like .DLL and .SYS. I'm not sure how to fix it. However, I only have a suggest and replacment idea: Instead of HKCR\*\Shell\sdfiles\, "sdfiles" should be redirected to HKCR\*\shellex. However, it needs CLSID and some changes to make it work. I've tried to
look at other shellex paths to see how it should go, but it's hard.

This happends if you look for something which has too many results, for example, if you enter "windows" (no quotes), you'll get same error.

I'm afraid I don't understand anything you wrote after "I'm not sure how to fix it". It looks like you tried to edit the post and cut out some vital information as what follows doesn't make any sense. Could you repost it in words somebody with only an A+ and Network+ certification but without a strong background in Spybot's internal workings can understand?

What I want is to turn off that automatic scanning completely. I only want it to scan a single file when I tell it to do so by right clicking on it like it did in the old version. If I have to dig out my backup CD where I saved the old version, so be it. Spybot should NOT automatically scan a file when I try to open an Infinity Engine .SPL file, it should launch TeamBG's Spellmaker. According to the file types tab under folder options in Windows, it is properly defined to do so. It did so before I "upgraded" Spybot with the "Important" patch.

There were at least two other file types that it was doing this for last night, but I can't recall which ones exactly. It shouldn't matter, because it shouldn't be doing this at all. I want the "feature" turned off so that Spybot only scans a file when I right click on it and choose "Scan using Spybot-Search and Destroy", NEVER automatically, and it certainly shouldn't override the settings to launch a program I specified myself in Windows. I don't have a clue how to tell Spybot that, and I really don't want to have to enter the info in twice.

Tom.K
2009-05-03, 08:30
Actually, the final 1.6 code is now using an executable (SDFiles.exe) which gives us a nice stand-alone interface instead of the previous method which required manually registering SDFiles.dll and only worked within the file/folder properties tabs.

So no DLL's to unregister. AFAIK (http://forums.spybot.info/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&item=AFAIK), the only thing you need to do to remove the "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy" context menu entry is to remove the associated Registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdfiles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\sdfiles

At least that worked when I tried it.

I've attached a ZIP file with two REG files you can merge to turn it on and off easily. Don't even need to reboot when doing either. :)

Just be aware that the "Enable" file assumes you installed to "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" - so if you didn't, you'll need to modify it accordingly. The "Disable" file doesn't care.

From this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678
Post wtih attachment: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=210998&postcount=9

slickrcbd
2009-05-06, 01:46
According to the thread, that will remove the context menu. That is NOT what I want to do. I WANT the context menu.
I do NOT want SpyBot to scan files UNLESS I use the context menu. It should NEVER scan a file simply by double-clicking on it.

How do I do that? I'm sorry, I don't know how to make this more clear. I do not want to scan files by double clicking on them. I want to be able to scan newly downloaded files by right flicking on them, but if I double-click on them, I want them to open normally. Spybot should never override my settings in Folder Options to run it's stupid scan when I double-click on a file.

drragostea
2009-05-06, 06:45
Well, to tell you the truth the scanner is not perfect and your optimal situation is unlikely.

We can probably blame the Windows OS because for some files it cannot open (it does not recognize the program that opens with the file), it'll use the 'nearest' function that is next to "Open". If you get my point, then it means if you have a .pdf file for example and Acrobat Reader is not installed, Windows will either prompt you to choose a program from a list and execute the file using that associated program or it'll use something else in the Windows Explorer shell extension.

:surrender:

slickrcbd
2009-05-07, 05:15
That's exactly what it did before I upgraded. I want it to do that once again.

drragostea
2009-05-07, 05:34
It could be possible that Spybot's Explorer Shell Scanner overrode the default associative program option. I guess you can always manually right click on the file>Open with... and find the program and tick "Always open this file with this program" (or words similar to that). So now if you have a .pdf file for example (with Acrobat Reader installed) and the Spybot scanner kept opening before it shouldn't, Acrobat Reader will open.

slickrcbd
2009-05-09, 03:51
Damn thing even overrode my choice when I shift-clicked and selected "open with"!?!

I'm not joking. It actually scanned the file after I selected "open with" instead of opening the application in question.

Any suggestions on another anit-spyware program that still supports Windows 98? I'm going to uninstall Spybot if I can't turn off this "feature" of automatically scanning a file when I double-click on it in Windows Explorer.

I don't understand why turning off this blasted automatic scanning isn't an easy-to-find configuration option. That's all I'm asking for. I'm also extremely annoyed and frustrated at this "screwupgrade" to version 1.6.2. It's certainly not an upgrade from my point of view.

slickrcbd
2009-05-09, 08:49
Ok, I reverted back to version 1.6.0. That has fixed some of the problems. However, whenever I double-click on an Infinity Engine spell file (.SPL) SpyBot opens and scans the file. It also scans unknown files. The older version I was using didn't do that, but instead presented me with a list of things to open.

I've tried shift-right clicking on the .spl file and doing "open with", but regardless of what I choose, SPybot scans the file instead of Windows opening the program I choose.:mad: This is very frustrating, as I'm working on a mod for BG2 and don't want to install it on my new computer when it runs just fine on my old computer.

While I do want to be able to right-click to scan a file, I want this "feature" of overriding my settings for the open command in folder options gone. What older version do I need to find to remove the auto-scanning completely?

drragostea
2009-05-10, 04:14
It's not blasted nor is screwed up. I think there is a registry tweak that'll disable this right click scanning (you might as well read this post by spybotsandra: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=310823&postcount=2).

jpChris
2009-05-11, 00:18
Hi slickrcbd,

If I understand your problem, it's that you don't want SBS&D to scan everything when you open a program, correct?

If so, try this: Open SBS&D and on the left are the menu options. Click on "Settings" and in the right pane scroll down to System Start and uncheck everything in there — except: "No Automation".

You might want to have a look at "Main Settings" while you're scrolling to the above and make sure "Save Settings" is ticked.

Please post back if this helped.

jpChris
2009-05-11, 00:52
I forgot to add: Have a look in "Program Start" while you're scrolling and try un-checking everything.

slickrcbd
2009-05-12, 22:41
It's not blasted nor is screwed up. I think there is a registry tweak that'll disable this right click scanning (you might as well read this post by spybotsandra: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=310823&postcount=2).

I don't understand why you and others keep telling me how to disable right-click scanning when that isn't the problem. The context menu is fine the way it is, it's the double-click scanning that is the problem. Forgive me if I am getting frustrated as I don't know how to express this any clearer:

I DO NOT want to disable right-click scanning.
I want to disable double-click scanning, especially when it decides to scan a file instead of launching the application specified under Start->Settings->Folder Option... in Windows 98SE.

In short, Spybot should only scan files by starting the main program from the start menu, or right-clicking on the file and choosing "Scan using Spybot Search & Destroy". It should never scan a file because I double-clicked on it, which goes double for file extensions I've previously set up to launch specific applications and quadruple for shift-clicking on said file and choosing the app I want, only to have Spybot's stupid scanner launch instead regardless of what I choose from the menu. Although the last behavior has only been observed with .SPL files, which I've triple checked the setup for. Even deleted and recreated it.

I also, when presented with an unknown file type, I want to be asked what to do with it as per standard Windows 98 behavior. I don't want Spybot to run a useless scan. Most of the time it's because I made a typo when naming or renaming the file. Once when I first download the file is enough. Especially since Spybot pretty much locks up my 1ghz computer for up to a minute to run the scan.

I have Windows 98 installed on this computer for a reason, so upgrading to something NT based isn't an option.

jpChris
All options you mentioned are already cleared.

drragostea
2009-05-13, 02:35
Then perhaps another member can have a possible solution. As you I told you before your situation of having Windows recognize the correct program to open the file with but at the same time scan a file whenever you want is not likely, if it's even possible. Spybot+Windows OS=not physic.
How do I configure Spybot to NEVER automatically scan a file, but only do so when I explicitly tell it to from the context menu?
This is going into a circle. If you do not like my situation, just hope another possible solution passes by.

What I want is to turn off that automatic scanning completely.
Spybot's Shell scanner opens because the program assigned to open that particular file is either broken or missing. If you do not have the scanner installed in the first place, Windows will eventually ask you to pick from the list.

I told you already that this could possibly be resolved without disabling the Shell scanner if you manually assign the file type, you are having a problem with, with the program that is necessary to open that kind of file.

Spybot should NOT automatically scan a file when I try to open an Infinity Engine .SPL file, it should launch TeamBG's Spellmaker.
Then manually assign that program to open that file then, and get it over with!

Like you said, I don't know how I can explain this clearer.

jpChris
2009-05-13, 05:08
Hi slickrcbd,

Thanks for the post-back on unchecking.

Now, it seems the only program you're having the problem with at this time is your .SPL program(s), correct? And, you've already right-clicked the .SPL program and checked the box, "Always use the selected program . . .", but it made no difference, correct? Every time you right-click on the program and select Open With, the program is highlighted and the first thing listed in the box is your program and no other, correct?

Then you need to find out from someone here how to add .SPL to the "Ignore File Extension" or "Ignore Products" list and check it. Methinks SBS&D thinks this extension is a bug and not a program.

Then, again, I could be wrong.

chi-va
2009-05-13, 11:35
Sorry guys that I have to interrupt you. Drragostea has already said it: This is going into a circle. It seems that we have a communication problem here.

I like the way how jpChris is trying to find out what slickrcbd really wants and how he is also trying to narrow the reasons of the problem.Good work! Trying to get a feedback is the best way to confirm that the information have been exchanged correctly(Friedemann Schulz von Thun model).

@slickrcbd
I suppose you normally know how to assign the default program for a file extensions but it didn't work. Is this correct?

Start->Settings->Folder Option... in Windows 98SE.
There could be several reasons for this. Spybot S&D makes many changes in the registry and so it may be necessary that you have to check the registry yourself. Do you have any experiences with editing the registry? Apart from that, was the Teatimer activated?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
I'm not sure if the Teatimer monitors the registry entries for the shell but if it does then it could block your change for the the default program. So you should try to turn it off first if it is activated.

The registry is very complicated and some entries could make troubles if it is not used correctly as you can see in your situation. My suggestion for you is to read the article from the links below in the hope that it will help you to understand the problem and how to fix the problem.

Part 1:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1046838.html

Part 2:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1046840.html

2009-05-13, 15:35
I have helped someone with this issue a long time ago in another thread found here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31332).

The problem is this:

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=215617&postcount=7

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=215626&postcount=8

Keep things simple guys :) Don't make the issue harder then it is. No registry "hack" or anything needs to be done here. It is just a simple matter of a confused file association. :bigthumb:

@slickrcbd, please let me know if this helped. :)

jpChris
2009-05-13, 20:00
@chi-va,

Thanks. It looks like me 'n 129260 are on the same page.

chi-va
2009-05-13, 21:31
@jpChris

129260 is right about the confused file association but I'm not sure if he has read all of the posts and my posted links. The first part of the article isn't about a registry "hack". So I would recommend to read the article because it also recommends alternative fixing solutions apart from editing the registry.;)

As you can see in the quotes slickrcbd has already done something similar to what 129260 is suggesting. So it seems he needs more alternatives.

slickrcbd, is this correct?

Post #3

What I want is to turn off that automatic scanning completely. I only want it to scan a single file when I tell it to do so by right clicking on it like it did in the old version. If I have to dig out my backup CD where I saved the old version, so be it. Spybot should NOT automatically scan a file when I try to open an Infinity Engine .SPL file, it should launch TeamBG's Spellmaker. According to the file types tab under folder options in Windows, it is properly defined to do so. It did so before I "upgraded" Spybot with the "Important" patch.

There were at least two other file types that it was doing this for last night, but I can't recall which ones exactly. It shouldn't matter, because it shouldn't be doing this at all. I want the "feature" turned off so that Spybot only scans a file when I right click on it and choose "Scan using Spybot-Search and Destroy", NEVER automatically, and it certainly shouldn't override the settings to launch a program I specified myself in Windows. I don't have a clue how to tell Spybot that, and I really don't want to have to enter the info in twice.

Post #10
Ok, I reverted back to version 1.6.0. That has fixed some of the problems. However, whenever I double-click on an Infinity Engine spell file (.SPL) SpyBot opens and scans the file. It also scans unknown files. The older version I was using didn't do that, but instead presented me with a list of things to open.

I've tried shift-right clicking on the .spl file and doing "open with", but regardless of what I choose, SPybot scans the file instead of Windows opening the program I choose. This is very frustrating, as I'm working on a mod for BG2 and don't want to install it on my new computer when it runs just fine on my old computer.

While I do want to be able to right-click to scan a file, I want this "feature" of overriding my settings for the open command in folder options gone. What older version do I need to find to remove the auto-scanning completely?

slickrcbd
2009-05-15, 06:29
Ok, I do know how to define a file association. I looked at some of the latest links, and somebody suggested that it was the fact that "scan" as the first option in the context menu and in boldface. The solution described was to remove and reinstall. I would have assUmeED when I reverted to the older version of 1.6.0 that would have counted, but I'll try downloading a new installer and reinstalling again.

Here's a link to a collection of some screenshots on Flickr that should illustrate the situation as well as show my modest expertise at Windows 98 file associations. Read the descriptions as I was unable to get the mouse pointer to show up with the print screen button, unlike on my ancient PowerMac with CMD-SHIFT-3.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/sets/72157618168266884/detail/

I have never set up a "set" of photos on Flickr before, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong URL, or one only accessible to the uploader. If it is, just find the photos with the tag "spybot" for the user "slickrcbd". I've used Flickr with forums before, but usually just only post one or two screenshots if I'm having a problem with a URL directly to the pic.

chi-va
2009-05-15, 11:22
Quoted from 129260 #10 added link

Well if he uninstalls..........
spybot, it will remove the scanner from the right click menu along with the spybot program. When he reinstalls spybot, the right click menu scanner should be in the right place hopefully. Usually when i experienced this problem with 98, if i reinstalled whatever program caused it, it then worked correctly.

It is a bug. In other words, there is no warranty that it works. This is your second attempt of uninstall and reinstall. The third one could work or maybe not. It could make it better or it could make it worse.And we still don't know what is really written in the registry.

It seems nobody like to read my posted article. Did you already tried to uninstall and reinstall InfinityEingineEditorPro like suggested in the article? As you already know it, uninstall and reinstall won't fix the problem with unknown file types unless it is fixed and works like Norton or AVG.

By the way, BG2 is a really nice game.;)

PS: You have a PM.

2009-05-15, 15:04
Did you also read the other solutions I linked to? Did you read any of the thread I linked to? I would like to know if the orginal poster tried to do all the items I have suggeted. If the solutions I offered so far did not work for the orginal poster, I can offer more suggestions.

slickrcbd
2009-05-18, 01:27
I apologize for taking so long, my mother was released from the hospital a couple weeks ago and needs assistance from time to time while she's rebuilding here stamina. I haven't had time to work on this.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice, the second time with a restart in between the uninstall & reinstall. It doesn't help, and the first uninstall only made the problem worse, as Excel spreadsheets were being scanned instead of opened with Open Office Calc.

I'm already tried hitting the "set as default" button. Repeatedly while checking the file type association in Folder Options. The thing that gets me is that "set as default" is the ONLY thing listed for the .SPL files.

I've been looking at the proposal to disable right-click scanning. I admit that while I have done some registry editing, I consider myself a novice at such things. It also has been a while since I've had to do any Windows 9X hacking/tweaking. In my limited knowledge, I'd like to ask something before I attempt it as I know first-hand how dangerous messing with the registry can be.

According to the removal instructions, I need to delete two entries

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sdfiles
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles

Correct me if my sketchy memory and limited knowledge of the registry is wrong, but does the first one make the "scan" option appear on files only and the second one only on folders? Can I delete only the first one to disable the unwanted scanning of files, but still allow me to right-click on a folder and scan one folder at a time? That might be an acceptable compromise provided it doesn't decide to start scanning a folder in Windows Explorer instead of opening it.

I'm considering this because I'm at the point where I say "I give up" and just disable the right-click scanning altogether. If what I'm proposing will work the way I think it does, it's a compromise I'll just have to accept. It's better than nothing, which is what I'm read to settle for.

Just in case I was too abstract, I'm proposing to ONLY delete the
key and leave the other key intact.

chi-va
2009-05-18, 10:47
You are right.

This is context menu option for the files.(* means that it should appear for all the files)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles

And this is for the context menu for the folders.

I'm not sure but there seems to be one more for scanning the files.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\Shell\sdfiles]

Can you verify this?

I hope your mother get well soon!

slickrcbd
2009-05-18, 12:45
You are right.

This is context menu option for the files.(* means that it should appear for all the files)

And this is for the context menu for the folders.

I'm not sure but there seems to be one more for scanning the files.

Can you verify this?

I hope your mother get well soon!

This is odd, and something I didn't know was possible. That appears at first glance to be the case, but when I deleted the first key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and went back to look for the second key, it was gone.

As for mom, thanks. She's been out of danger for a while, but she's weak and doesn't have the stamina to do things like yardwork or cleaning the huge porch of all the winter dirt. Here I thought I was done with those chores when I moved to an apartment.