PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6.2....."Program not responding"

cynic_fred
2009-05-02, 20:22
Laughing allowed....Gateway (8yrs old), WinME, IE6 with all the updates.

I keep getting "program not responding" when I press alt-ctl-del.

Been using Spybot for a few years with no problems, I forget the last version I used, but then You came out with the "beta" version, and all of a sudden the program would show loading, but sometimes it would take maybe 5mins for it to finally load. Now with this new version 1.6.2, it won't load at all, though it let me update.

Read sticky "crashing or shut down", my computer is fine there. The only programs I have running are "net veda firewall" and "avast av". I tried "safe mode", no luck. I also tried going into Spybot program and clicking the "scr" program, still no luck.

I downloaded "HJT" and "CWS", all looked fine, well to this novice anyway.

Is it ok to use an older version and stll get updates?

Thanks, Fred

Matt
2009-05-02, 23:44
Hi cynic_fred,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. :)

Spybot 1.4 isn't supported any longer with updates. But you shouldn't have installed always the newest version... on the other hand, I understand your problem... Does Spybot 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 run on your computer?

Are you sure that you don't have Malware on your computer (I ask because sometimes Malware blocks Spybot, especially in newer versions) ?

cynic_fred
2009-05-04, 04:24
Hello Matt

Thanks for the quick reply...

I'm not sure about malware on computer, but I tried Spybot 1.6.2 again today. It took about 8 minutes, but it finally opened and I was able to scan computer. Nothing was found, as has always been the case.

Like I mentioned, My computer is 8yrs old with only 128mb of ram. For what I use it for, it works fine. Maybe I should see about getting more ram, maybe that would help.

Again Thanks
Fred

Also, I imagine this question isn't for this forum, but I wonder why I get a syntax error only with this site. Guess it's time for Google.

Matt
2009-05-04, 09:43
Hi cynic_fred,

Hello Matt
My computer is 8yrs old with only 128mb of ram..

It seems to me that you haven't enough RAM... :sad: Is TeaTimer enabled ?

noel-pr7
2009-05-04, 20:43
Laughing allowed....Gateway (8yrs old), WinME, IE6 with all the updates.

what is the model number of your gateway machine, cynic_fred?

I think with WinME, you really need to have 256Mb of RAM or more, especially when you have other security programs like firewall and antivirus programs installed and loaded at startup.

also, how fast is your CPU? use either Microsoft System Information tool [msinfo32.exe] or DirectX Diagnostic tool [dxdiag.exe] to get this information.

cynic_fred
2009-05-05, 07:03
No, Tea Timer is not checked. On older versions it gave computer problems.

Computer model number: E4600.......Processor: 1496 Mhz....I did see a sticky post that gave a site name to get more ram for older computers, I'll look into that.

I use Net Veda firewall and Avast AV. Used to use ZA free 6.1.744.1, but would get ZClient errors. Hard to find programs for an ancient computer.

I have a new Dell Vista with 3GB, but this one works fine, so I keep on using it.

Thanks for the replies
Fred

Matt
2009-05-05, 10:27
Hi cynic_fred,

thank you for the update. You're welcome. :)

If you have problems in the future again, please feel free to answer. ;)

bitman
2009-05-05, 12:15
Your Gateway E-4600 (E4000 Series) uses an older more expensive type of RAM called an RDRAM RIMM. These are generally more expensive than current memory, since they are relatively rare and were lower capacity.

256MB PC800 800MHz 184-pin Non-ECC Unbuffered RDRAM

Here's one option which pops up all over through other vendors, but this is the actual manufacturer and very reputable to deal with as well as having some cost effective shipping options. I have purchased other older types of memory from them myself for a Sony VIAO with similar specs to yours, though it had Windows XP installed.

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/upgrade.asp?cid=23681

Though the info on that page claims you can install up to 1GB in the two slots, it doesn't appear the 512MB modules required are available anywhere or would at least be excessively expensive if you could find them.

The 256MB modules aren't cheap, but at least relatively reasonable at about $53. If you add one to bring your PC to 384MB that should be fairly effective for Windows ME, since to get to 512MB you'd have to buy two 256MB modules and remove the existing 128MB stick.

Bitman