PDA

View Full Version : spybot s&d slows down ccleaner

erwin_mi
2009-05-03, 01:34
Immunization of spybot s&d slows down running/opening ccleaner on vista when used in combination with ie8 (also spywareblaster may be involved)... So it's not only ie8 itself that's is being slowed down.

Can this be fixed?

drragostea
2009-05-03, 05:09
The only solution is to disable the Immunization (portions of it) for Microsoft Internet Explorer 8. Microsoft is persistent about changing their code (apparently, IE8 'slows-down' when there is too many entries in it's restriction zones) for Spybot.

I don't see the use of Immunization when IE8 has the SmartScreen Filter, which filters and blocks out malicious sites (including .exes). SmartScreen should be more than adequate to take on Spybot's role.

erwin_mi
2009-05-03, 12:09
The only solution is to disable the Immunization (portions of it) for Microsoft Internet Explorer 8. Microsoft is persistent about changing their code (apparently, IE8 'slows-down' when there is too many entries in it's restriction zones) for Spybot.

I don't see the use of Immunization when IE8 has the SmartScreen Filter, which filters and blocks out malicious sites (including .exes). SmartScreen should be more than adequate to take on Spybot's role.
It seems you can work around the slowdown by disabling:
- in spywareblaster: cookie protection ie and restricted sites protection
- in spybot s&d: ie cookies, ie domains and ie secure domains immunization.

See also http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2009/03/20/ie8-issues-if-immunization-by-spybot-s-amp-d-is-enabled.aspx .

Smartscreen appears to be a nice security feature indeed, but I like to keep spybot s&d and spywareblaster as additional layers of protection...